Ripping From DVDs

I no longer have the files and and things of some of our oldest projects - but I do have DVDs of them which we burned for personal viewing needs.

They aren't data DVDs, just watchable, normal DVDs.

Is there anyway to bring these onto my computer so I can archive them? I'd also like to get an editable file so I can do a "highlights" kind of reel.

Yes, I know I should archive better, but, this is old stuff, before I had learned the ways of the force...

And NO I'm not trying to rip commercial or protected DVDs. These are DVDs of our content that we made ourselves.

I'm on a Mac, using Final Cut Pro

Last edited:
Ahh, mac. missed that point initially. Your options are probably a bit more limited then.

Try this: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip

1. Copy the VIDEO_TS folder onto your hard drive. Better yet, just use MPEG Streamclip to open the VTS_01_1.vob file from the disc itself and, when it asks if you want to open the rest, choose Yes.

2. Select File > Export to DV. Wait for DV conversion to complete.

3. Open DV file in Final Cut Pro and edit edit edit.

I have DVDX Copy, for making a backup.

For individual scenes, for demo reels and such, I run the analogue RCA outputs from the DVD player to my HVX200 camera. At the same time, the HVX's firewire is connected to my computer and Adobe Premiere is in Capture mode. I don't even have to record with the HVX - just have it on and let the signal pass through to Premiere (or your editing program).

The above method is a great way to transfer external media - VHS, DVD, etc.

"mac the ripper"
"dvdbackup" (don't think this converts though)
"hand brake" (I use this one to digitize my DVDs that I've ditched the projects on)

I've had limited success with streamclip.

Back