RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

F'ing bummer. What a talent. Man, drug addiction and substance abuse sucks. Sad that he just did a stint in rehab last year and made an effort, but guess going clean didn't agree with him. :(

meanwhile john goodman is still kicking.
I wonder what was philips drug of choice

I read that at one point he was doing pretty much whatever he could find, but I believe it was primarily heroine.

Such a tragedy though, great actor. Synecdoche New York, The Master, Doubt, Punch Drunk Love, and many other great films will continue to be among my favorites.

Very sad, indeed. What a terrific actor he was.

What's up with the relatively high number of actors who abuse drugs? Is there some sort of cause/effect going on here? Or is it just correlation? Are creative types somehow somehow more prone to this type of behavior?

What's up with the relatively high number of actors who abuse drugs? Is there some sort of cause/effect going on here? Or is it just correlation? Are creative types somehow somehow more prone to this type of behavior?
Yup.

Liberal minded artsy fartsy people with lotta cash and high stress who are exposed to a very wide spectrum of people across the industry and global territories.

Yeah, they're gonna eventually run across someone who knows someone that can keep them supplied with good stuff.

Last edited:
I always figured there must be some tie between creativity and high intelligence. And studies have shown that the more intelligent a person is, the more prone they are to depression and substance abuse (drugs/alcohol/cigarettes/food).

The faster something moves the more unstable it becomes.

But then again, there are some pretty unstable people who make negligible contributions to society, so... :weird:

I always figured there must be some tie between creativity and high intelligence. And studies have shown that the more intelligent a person is, the more prone they are to depression and substance abuse (drugs/alcohol/cigarettes/food).

I think that actors have to dig into often dark places to bring out their characters, and they have an extremely difficult time dealing with the feelings and emotions that are brought up by digging so deeply.

I also believe that the pressures brought upon those people to continuously "deliver" drives them towards all types of escapism from those pressures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVgWfmej7xE

Charlie Rose: We remember actor Philip Seymour Hoffman with A.O. Scott & David Denby

This has had me thinking of what I recently read in Keith Richard's autobiography. In it, he explains why some people overdose. Other users, unlike himself, tend to up and up and up the dose they take as their tolerance builds. That, first of all, is a mistake, according to Richards, who, as he describes, was careful to take a steady, maintenance dose, not escalating it. Then, they kick it for a while (like Richards did numerous times). When they go back to it, they make the deadly mistake of thinking they can take the dose they were taking when they last kicked it, when their tolerance was high. But now, after quitting for a while, their body can't take that dosage anymore. So they overdose. They ought to have started with a small dosage, as though starting over again.

I wonder if that happened here.

Last edited:
Back