• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rewrite rewrite and rewrite some more

Getting a bit irritated!! Just when you think you re done with your story after multiple rewrites, and promise to yourself "ok, that was the last rewrite" , you start breaking down the script.. And reading it .. And you say "hey! This should go completely different direction!" and find yourself starting up celtx or final draft once more lol

Just when I though I was satisfied with my story, I start picking on it and find a whole lot of issues and problems that I'm not happy with. Ugh!

I know that writing is re writing but DAMN son! I want to go out and shoot stuff already!! Lol

Does anybody have the problem or unable to stop rewriting?

bla bla bla bla

Not your most articulate comeback.

I'm smiling and nodding and not hearing a word of that.

That's redundant. Do you always explain the meaning of the idioms you use? That kind of defeats the purpose.

(writing is writing)

I feel like you're beating a dead horse, and making the same point over and over again. See what I did there?

I still have no clue of what you mean by that, though. It might help if you chose to articulate.

I enjoy watching comedies. Often the British comedies offer particular gems. Among them was the Catherine Tate Show, kind of a British "Carol Burnett". She offers a wide range of characters from the upper class snobbery to the crotchety Nan to the annoying prep school Lauren. Lauren is the British "valley girl". Her favorite remarks are "Am I bothered?" "I'm above it!" "Are you talking about my family?" And she's annoying petulant. She could be clever if she weren't so conceited and angry. I thought I'd share an amusing clip from Comic Relief since someone else seems to be "above it" and "not bothered".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAJ4VFStUE

For those who are new to production, this is an excellent clip that gives you a backend view of what happens on a real set where changes are forced by necessity. This is a long clip but I think it gives a fairly realistic view that script changes do occur. So please don't take my word for it. See for yourself what it is really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If0cFyexIBw

When someone asks a question, I assume they are coming as a student on the topic. So, I suggest techniques that are regarded as 'best practice'.

Do people throw out the book, go against convention, and make it up as they go? Sure, it happens all the time. But if someone asks me how to drive, I'd start with best practices; The rules of the road.

Writing is writing ... and discipline ... and patience. Patience & Production can never exist in the same space at the same time -everybody knows that ;)

When someone asks a question, I assume they are coming as a student on the topic. So, I suggest techniques that are regarded as 'best practice'.

Do people throw out the book, go against convention, and make it up as they go? Sure, it happens all the time. But if someone asks me how to drive, I'd start with best practices; The rules of the road.

Writing is writing ... and discipline ... and patience. Patience & Production can never exist in the same space at the same time -everybody knows that ;)

Actually, I think you've offered some very sage advice in this thread.

I think the only thing anybody is reacting negatively to, in this thread, is the militant shooting down of other people's ideas, and there is only one person in this thread who has done that (and it's not you). :)

Last edited:
Back