Returning to the Camera Question

I wrote a year ago about my need for a camera, I came to the decision of the GH3, looked and liked it when I saw it in LA, based on all the info I got here. A family member died and I knew I wasn't going to shoot my project as planned. I still like what I read about the GH3, but I am returning with a bigger budget. I have no trouble going up to $8,ooo. I am still a portrait and wedding photographer, but am going to wean my self away from work this year to focus on my project. I have several Nikon lenses, always was a Nikon guy, I would like to have a little slow motion 60fps. What camera would you get? I do have a big contract to fill in May so a new dslr would be nice but not nec. What's coming out in the next 5 months? I have mic and sound recorder already.

Thanks as always
Vows

I read the forum daily...like it.

The Sony NEX FS-100U (1080P) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100U_Super_35mm_Sensor.html around $4K

The NEX FS 700R (4K [RAW w/external recorder])http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010197-REG/sony_nex_fs700rh_4k_nxcam_super_35mm.html comes in at about $8K. With the 700R, you can shoot bursts of 1080P at 240fps and continuously at 60fps. If you get the R5 external recorder down the line, you can shoot 2K RAW at 240fps and 4K RAW at 60fps.

Then, of course there is a host of camcorders up to 4K resolution by Sony in your price range.

Don't forget the Black Magic options which range from $1K to $4K for the basic brain box. With the additional $4K you could kit one out fairly well.

Canon's EOS C100 just got a price drop to $5K.

Most of these video cameras that I referenced also shoot stills. If you choose one of the lesser cost options, you can still buy a fairly nice stills camera. If you go with the EOS C100, you could buy a 6D with the 24-105mm f4L IS lens for $2500 and have a two full frame camera setup (Super 35 for the C100). Alternately, you could get a 7D body only for $1500 and buy your own glass if you don't mind the 1.6X crop factor of the 7D versus the full frame 6D. A T5i is only $650 for the body only and has the same crop factor as the 7D.

Sadly, the Nikon D800 does not shoot 1080P at 60fps but it does shoot 720P at 60fps. On the bright side, your Nikkor glass is easily adapted to most of the above cameras.

Last edited:
Back