Resume Advice

I'm applying for an assistant editor position at a local post production house. Anyone have any resume advice? Is there a good format for technical jobs likes this? Any advice would be helpful.

Cover the basics.. all your contact info, education info, ay related job info, all the films/etc you've worked on (preferably as an editor), include a list of software you've worked with.. and then send along your demo reel with the resume. And don't forget to make a followup call!

You could also put a little extra something into the packaging of the resume/reel ... something to make it stand out amongst others piled on the desk. Remember, that even though at the heart of it it is a 'technical' job.. it's a creative field and you're talking to creative people. Play to that, with a good solid technical base and you should be good.

Condense it all onto one page of information with well defined groups; name and contact, purpose for applying, education, experience, awards, references available upon request at the bottom.

Remember that this should be professional, no fancy fonts, straight forward design. Good paper (linen or parchment).

The follow up call is this:

"My name is <> I recently applied for the <> position and am wondering if you have had a chance to review my resume?"

The main purpose of this call is to show that you are still interested in the job and has them search through the pile of resumes and bring your to the top in a non-demanding way.

I started my computer career designing resumes professionally. I have a high success rate (including my own career which affords me expensive hobbies like filmmaking). Granted the interviewee is involved in the equation as well somewhere.

No BS. If you don't know something, they will appreciate that you have the veracity to say "I don't know the answer to that question" or "I don't know that word, what does it mean?" or "I don't know what a/n <> is". Note that these are all just statements of fact, employers look for honesty so they know you won't say you can do something when you really can't.

Dress formally! I don't care what folks say about the career world changing, wear a suit to your interview, it means you care about the outcome.

Make and hold eye contact when they are speaking to you, shake firmly but gently (unless you're meeting native asian business folks who prefer softer hand shakes).

Don't say um and ah, if you son't know what to say just yet, or need time to formulate a thought, do so silently.

knightly said:
Condense it all onto one page of information with well defined groups; name and contact, purpose for applying, education, experience, awards, references available upon request at the bottom.

Remember that this should be professional, no fancy fonts, straight forward design. Good paper (linen or parchment).

...I agree, and don't use colored paper, like blue or green, its overkill and it doesn't really add anything...and ALWAYS dress professionally when you interview. It's the first thing they see and the first 'judgement' they make, whether or not you are serious about this job. NEVER wear jeans. If you are female, go easy on jewelry and perfume.

...it is also okay to ask: "do you know when you will be making a decision about the position?"

Good luck

--spinner :cool:

How may I help you?

knightly said:
The follow up call is this:

"My name is <> I recently applied for the <> position and am wondering if you have had a chance to review my resume?"

The main purpose of this call is to show that you are still interested in the job and has them search through the pile of resumes and bring your to the top in a non-demanding way.

I've always found that on the follow up call to ask if they had any questions about your resume and ask if there is anything else that you can HELP them with.

"Hello, my name is Cooter Cootersen and I was wondering if you have any questions about my resume that I turned in on November 1st...... Ok yes, that's great.... Is there anything else I can help you with, besides your vacant position?" or somehting like that. You are helping them because you are filling a vacant position. Be confidant that you already have it and ask if there's anything else you can do. Don't be cocky, that's bad, REALLY bad. People remember others that offer to help them.

And yes, truth and honesty is the best policy in an interview and in life. :yes:

I forgot about this post.

Well, I'm still in the running for the Edit Assist. position. I went on my interview the day after my initial post. I felt a little silly wearing a suit and tie when the guy interviewing was in shorts and a baseball hat. Anyway, they aren't in a hurry the fill the position....obviously...but I will have another round of interviews after the new year with the editors this time. They have 4. The first interview was just to gauge my techincal background, now I guess it's just a personally thing with the editors.

Thanks for the advice, but I guess I was looking for more information specific to the industry (if there is such info), not just resume colors, fonts, basic resume info, etc. But it was nice to get my memory refreshed.

Back