• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

resources/books on short film/s?

[I have checked the archives in this forum, and the recommended books deal mainly with features]

I am currently working on some short film scripts, and have sought to do some reading on the making of short films, and the writing of short film screenplays.

So, I wish to ask my fellow members here, if they are able to recommend any suitable books dealing specifically with short film/s?

Thanks.

Hi ATP.

Check out any of the following...

Soup-to-Nuts
Short Films 101, How to Make a Short Film and Launch a Filmmaking Career by Frederick Levy (Perigee) - This is a great book that is loaded with great information and has copies of the scripts for "Battle Of the Sexes" and "Inside". I recommend you read the scripts and watch the shorts - especially "Inside".

Making A Winning Short, How to write, direct, edit and produce a short film by Edmond Levy (Holt) - another great book from an award winning filmmaker who also has years of teaching and instruction under his belt.

Writing
Writing Short Films, Structure and Content for Screenwriters by Linda J. Cowgill (ifilm publishing)

I hope these prove helpful. Good luck.

Back