• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Replicating Color Pallete

Hi Folks,
Is there anyway to replicate or achieve the "the book of eli" washed away kinda look without using any fancy plugins like Red Giant or something?
I really love the color pallete used in that movie.

Thanks

Multiplying the gradient makes the posts pop here rather than just being washed out with the color from the gradient:
Screen8.jpg AF_Noisy_cricket_1.JPG

Here's a before and after to see the effect that adding the gradient has not only on the result, but also on the original:
Picture 5.jpg Screen6.jpg

This is meant to show the effect of the desaturation on the gradient:
Screen4.jpg Screen3.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!! Just WOW!! You guys sure go an extra mile to help out..I mean seriously you guys are so freakin amazing...I'd really like to say thanks. thank you so much
I'd be posting pictures of the actual location soon...along with CC ver thnx to tips that knightly gave...
again tahnks guys :D

thanks a lot guys..the youtube vdo was awsome too watch...even though i disagree with the uploader completely im glad he did put it there...

now the freaky news.. eastern india was declared drought hit cz the monsoon (rainy season) didnt come...i went to see some locations and the ground had 2 feet wide cracks...farmers were committing suicide..it was horrible...now monsoon is gone..and suddenly FLASH FLOODS....
again people are dying but those places are under 10 feet of water...
ill wait for winter i guess..atleast i have the other project happening...oh well
and ill use these color correction knowledge there :D

hey guys..i have been working on a short film in the meantime whose details i posted in another thread..
i just got permission to shoot in Nalanda University Ruins which is around 3000yrs old civilization ruins...worlds first university..even buddha taught there...m freakin excited to shoot in those ruins..i have a chase scene in mind that involves a boy being chased by two matrix-agent type people...

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=616

wat kinda color scheme do u think i shud go for??
m really inspired by rob dougan's clubbed to death vdo as far as look is concerned for it..

many thanks

shud i post the synopsis and stuff here as well??

oh.. man.. that is so cool...

that place is excotic enough, just go with what you find. Sure more contrast etc.. but that red\brown and startling green will look great, try and make it even MORE cool by hyping those colors... I know, I know, you got zombies on the brain and think blue blue blue.. but dont give in.. make it BEAUTIFUL which will even be more scary!

haha i hear ya wheat....even m hellbent on trying to find something unique in terms of look...
and this isnt for the zombie one...but a post apocalyptic short...
here is the detail from other thread..
Hey guys,
I have decided to enter this festival.http://www.shortfilmcenter.org/
It has two categories - International and Environmental.
Anything goes in either (fiction/documentary etc) and run time is 30 min or less.

Now I have an idea that I wanna run by you guys.

I'm thinking of making a 3-4min film which shows a dark dilapidated world where water has dried out. There is no water left except for rich and influentials. As in Society has been divided on water.
So water smuggling and black market trading is in full swing. This is the backdrop. I might put this info in one text screen or maybe not at all.

The story starts with a guy who is in some alley doing shady deals. He looks around to make sure that no cops are present and then this other guys comes with a handful of pills and coke. Main guy takes a sip of water and takes the drugs. As he takes the drugs cops see him and he starts running.
This leads to a chase sequence in which he runs through a world that is grungy..dried...dead.. (Through use of various scenery/matte paintings/set extension)...

At the end of the chase.. we see a sniper shoot him down..as he falls the drugs and his belongings cascade down in front of him and the cop slowly bends down to pick something up..till now audience will be made to blve that they were after drugs...but the hand is shown picking up water bottle instead of pills lying next to it...hero succumbs in the background...

then we see a newspaper blowing in the wind that reads "Govt has made possession of water illegal" or something to that effect.

Do you guys like this idea??
Do you think it will go in the Normal or Environmental Category?

Any other ideas welcome too

Thanks a lot

Ash

Still thinking blue blue blue?? ;D

oh yeah, mixing my threads..

still.. will it be "summer" when you shoot there? I get the dry brown vibe.. but maybe having the green grass in the ruins will "set them apart" as a sacred space.. can you work that into your story.. for example.. maybe have "worshipers" pouring there bottled water on the green grass as a sacrifice.. or act of rebellion...

Back