Rent out streaming film online?

I was recently watching Dov Simmen's 2-Day Film School and he was talking about self-distribution. He mentioned that you should buy a domain and rent out a streaming version of the film for 42 cents. Then later rent out a full-screen version for 65 cents. After a while, try selling the DVD for $7.

I've looked up how to set up your own film as a rental streaming from your site and haven't found a thing. I've never heard of anyone doing this on their own, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Does this even exist? If so, how?

I don't know anything about this, but since you heard it through Dov Simmen's, I'd suggest contacting him/his company and ask. You've already paid him for the information, so they should be able to help you.

Would appreciate you posting your findings here.

One issue I've heard about streaming off your own website is that your web server charges you for data usage, and if you were to get a tonne of people hitting your website and sitting there to watch a film it might crash your site. Established video sites are set up with massive servers to support them. But I don't know details!

Yes, I believe you would have to buy some bandwidth? There is definitely more to it than just putting up a movie on your own site. I'm actually looking into it myself. Hoping to find a way instead of posting it on one of those "other" sites.

Back