Rent a RED at half price

I'm considering the purchase of a RED camera this week. As part of my plan to be able to make the loan payments, I'm planning to rent it out, at half standard pricing.

So $250/day 750/week, with kit.

I'd like to know how many of you out there see yourselves renting it from me for at least a day this year. That will help me decide whether I can afford this 35 thousand dollar purchase.

That's 1500 for a 2 week shoot at release movie quality.

It kind of depends on how long and when. We are going to be using it a lot for our own shooting so rental availability will sort of revolve around that. We would definitely consider multi-week rentals as long as your in a country with an extradition treaty.

Haha, I'm in the bay area... What part of california are you in?
It could make it a lot easier if I picked it up or something instead of you shipping it all over the place.
BTW -- you should use a courier service like DHL instead of fedex or UPS, I've known my DHL driver for a while.

Since we're close by, I don't think I'll need it for as extended of a period as I first thought if I can pick it up and drop it off only on the days we'll be shooting.

I've also got a couple xeon servers; if you're interested in 3D, perhaps we could trade services? Your camera for my rendering?

but ... the amount of processing power needed to render these shots afterwards... i think is pretty intense, is it not?

Do some homework kids... you can work off proxies and then do an "online" edit, or with Premiere Pro CS4-CS5, you can edit by scaling the video quality on the fly.

Either way, it's pretty easy to work with RED footage even on systems that are 1-2 years old. I edited with only 4 did of RAM on a dual core machine with Windows XP in 2009 and did it all in 4K.

See http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-presentations-2009/the-red-workflow-with-cs4-production-premium/

And Nate, this is an incredibly generous offer to include insurance on the rental too.

Haha, I'm in the bay area... What part of california are you in?
It could make it a lot easier if I picked it up or something instead of you shipping it all over the place.
BTW -- you should use a courier service like DHL instead of fedex or UPS, I've known my DHL driver for a while.

Since we're close by, I don't think I'll need it for as extended of a period as I first thought if I can pick it up and drop it off only on the days we'll be shooting.

I've also got a couple xeon servers; if you're interested in 3D, perhaps we could trade services? Your camera for my rendering?

You're definitely in the right area, and I'd be gald to let you pick it up as opposed to mailing it. As far as the rendering servers, I'll have to pass, we're gearing up really heavy in that area, so I will probably have more capability than I need already. Thank you for the offer though, just not looking for trades.

Withdrawn

Sadly, I have to announce that I am withdrawing this offer. The camera has been pre rented for all available days for the next 2 years.

My apologies to the community, I hope to buy another red camera this year, and may be able to revive the offer.

Back