• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rendering t3i Footage

I was wondering if there is some kind of guide/steps for properly rendering edited footage from DSLR's, specifically the Canon t3i. My latest film looks pretty good in my opinion after I rendered it, using Premiere Pro's H264 codec with maximum render quality, but it is noticeably darker (and slightly grainier) compared to the footage in Premiere as I was editing. Am I doing something wrong in the rendering process or is this to be expected? I know it's hard to keep your footage the same quality once it's rendered, and the film was darkly lit as it is, but I'm not quite sure why it's darker after being rendered.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I've never really gotten any instruction in proper rendering, and the internet has a lot of different answers, so it's kind of overwhelming to figure out.

Thanks!

The rendering didn't do this. Color correct your project after you finish a rough draft.

the footage will always look flat and seemingly colorless, while recording it it doesn't, but it sure does, and that's why color correction is important

If it's too dark, increase the gamma.

the footage will always look flat and seemingly colorless, while recording it it doesn't, but it sure does, and that's why color correction is important

... I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here...

I had similar results when I edited a short TVC nearly two years ago now that I shot on a T2i. On render, it added a little contrast which I was honestly happy with.

Haven't seemed to have the same issue since, and I'm not an editor or colourist so I can't give you any definitive answers

Which bitrate did you use? VBR or CBR - and how much?

Also, the AVC codec really prints a darker image most times. Just add a global little brightness on the timeline after you did all your work, before render.

Mussonman, I did color correct and do a little color grading. I agree with Jax...not quite sure what you're trying to say either.

Fernando, I can't remember the bit rate; I'll take a look at my render settings when I get on my editing PC later on. I do think, now that I've compared screenshots of the raw edited file in Premiere to the rendered version on Vimeo, it's not as bad as I originally thought. Just a little darker, and I think the grain is probably just because it was shot in a dark room with intentionally low light.

Anyone want to take a look at the film I'm talking about? Specifically the cinematography/editing and whether it looks like it was improperly compressed/rendered (although I would imagine it's difficult to tell without seeing the original footage). Here's the link: https://vimeo.com/46858961

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think you overdid the dark look.

You should have exposed a little bit brighter and added contrast or dropped down brightness using masks in post.

The dark look is OK as long as you can't still see the actor. Not the case here. And I don't know what kind of color correction you had to apply since there i barely any light at all.

Back