• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Render Farm

Have you guys seen this file cabinet styled computer render farm. It has six computers in a file cabinet looking structure. I was reading about it earlier. Anyways, below is the link. It is used to shorten render time on big jobs I hear.

"The idea of having our own renderfarm has been around for some time but it’s as well always an investment that has to pay off in the end. Pre-build render nodes are one way to go but since our working environment is based on OS X it’s even harder to find the right hardware. Unfortunately Apple lacks a machine in it’s portfolio that can be utilized as a render node – cost effective, small and powerful.

On our search for a valuable solution we came across the XHELMER, a computer cluster that works with regular PC components inside an IKEA Helmer cabinet running OS X, which again was inspired by the original Helmer Cluster. Though the XHELMER site looks pretty interesting at first it hasn’t been updated in a while and never has gotten any further than the initial state. Eventually we had to came up with our own design and choice of components.

bunnyburg is a 6 node renderfarm, each node run by an Intel i7 quad core with 3.4 GHz and 16 GByte of ram, summing up to 81.6 GHz of renderpower or 0.5 TFLOPS.

Each node has a Cinebench score of 6.78, which is about 80% of the power of a current MacPro 8-core with 2.4 GHz but costing only a fragment of a MacPro. The entire bunnyburg renderfarm for about 3.750 EUR hardly tops the price of a current MacPro 8-core."

http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?page_id=630

bb_07_helmer_FS_open-200x300.jpg

This-is-a-Render.png

Last edited:
Back