• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Removing grain

Hello guys.

Yesterday i had to shoot a concert in a theater, but the light was so bad that i had to add gains, otherwise it would be impossible to see the artists in stage.

I obviously have grain in the image. I've read that the best way to reduce it is using a tool called Neat Video (plugin for Adobe and Final Cut i guess).

Is it the best way to solve it?

Thank you.

I have neat and it works as advertised. RedGiant also makes a denoise plugin, its probably easier to use then neat, but neat seems to be the more popular choice.

If you want, post a short sample, 5 seconds or so, of the footage you have. Ill download it and run it through neat and you can see if its worth the investment. Or just buy neat and go fer it.

Funny conincidink..

This past Saturday, I did shot for my kids senior project, we lost the light, so I had to boost iso 1000 and shoot wide open at f1.5 NOISY!!!

Since I had the same issue you did I created a little example with my footage.

One thing, seems the very noisy footage was somewhat cleaned by the compression process. The noise is almost not an issue in any h264 render I could pull off. So, meh, the test below doesn't seem to show much difference between the original footage and the denoised.. but maybe you can see it..

https://vimeo.com/88040073

Hello wheatgrinder, thanks for that.

There is really not much difference between them as far i can see. I think the denoised one is a little cleaner.

When you say that the noise is almost cleaned with h264 render, you mean exporting in that format?

Thank you. I'll post the sample tomorrow

yeah, seems the vidoe compression process cleans up noise (makes sense from a math POV)
so you might see the same thing in your sample.

Ill try and render\upload a less compressed version.

I can exaggerate the problem by increasing the brightness of the footage in post.

Last edited:
wheatgrinder i'm so sorry but i've been really busy but i didn't forgot it and i'm here to say thank your for your help and availability. I'm not a person who doesn't thank who help me, but yes i reckon i should've done it earlier.

There is in fact a huge difference, it's night and day! Looks like Neat Video it's anti grain miracle! I have no doubts anymore

Thank you and sorry

Last edited:
Back