• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Reluctant to Share

Hi
I've got an idea for a film that I am very passionate about, and I think it would make a great film and I want to make it some day (after I've gone to film school) and I want to get opinions on it, but I'm nervous about sharing it. I don't want this film to be made before I get to it, if I can help it. I mean, it is a true story, and it may be made before I get the chance, but I don't want to be GIVING out the idea. How do I know it is safe to share it on this board?

Tine said:
How do I know it is safe to share it on this board?

What do you mean safe? You will be posting your idea to the public, where anyone can see it, no matter what website you choose to post it on. It's up to you if you want to post it. I would suggest you write the screenplay and get it copyrighted first. You cannot copyright an idea, but you can copyright a screenplay.

Easy Answer

If you love it so much to want to protect it and keep it for your own, then you need not post it. Work on it, develop it, keep it as your own and love it for being yours.

Poke

TINE - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

Not that you shouldn't have trust - and that Subject Title does not say anything negative about this board, but let's be realistic here.

Tine: What I suggest you do is sit down one evening in your room, get a good hard surface to write on, take out a lot of paper, a few pens, pencils - whatever - and write your idea down as detailed as you can get it. Enclose newspaper clippings, photographs, excerpts from books (make sure you do it like a bibliography - names, dates, copyrights, etc) and then put it all in an envelope and seal it tight. Place your name and address as both the sender and receiver and mail it to yourself. Once you get it back - DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!

(One other thing - enclose "copies" of all of your originals, so if it never reaches you because of postal error - you haven't knee-capped yourself, yes?)

What I am suggesting is the "poor-mans/woman's" way to do a cheap copyright. It's not a "legal" copyright, but it will prove that you had the "original" idea first!!!!

I assume you are in the UK??? I saw you spell "color" as "colour" - so I am making an assumption - perhaps a bad one. Nonetheless, I am sure the laws are somewhat parallel on this issue.

One other thing to add to this, Tine; if this is a "true" story, make certain you have your facts straight! And go as far as getting permission from those whom the story is about and place all of that material in that envelop! You may need it when the time comes.

Gosh - I hope I've helped you and please - if anyone out there disagrees or found a flaw in my advice - give Tine a hand and correct me.

Ciao!

John.

The only thing ...

The only thing about the self mailed package is that it is not legal and it will not stand in any court (in the US), so it's best to just spend the 30 bucks and copyright it.

Poke

Re: The only thing ...

pokewowplayer1 said:
The only thing about the self mailed package is that it is not legal and it will not stand in any court (in the US), so it's best to just spend the 30 bucks and copyright it.

Poke

Exactly. Who's to say you didn't just mail yourself an unsealed envelope that you can seal at anytime.

The self-mailing was never a good idea, I don't know who started that trend.

Re: the only thing...

Actually, I heard about that idea and if you just date it, it is proof... I am in Canada, and I don't know much about law (Yes, we spell it "colour he he) But thank you!
As for the permission thing, the people the story is about are dead... and they didn't have any children, so they wouldn't have decendants. But these are all very good ideas, thank you. I will be very specific, and like I said I don't know anything about law... I'm 17, can I copyright? Do I have to be a certain age? I will be 18 in 8 days...

It's true I did want your opinions but even if you hated it, I would have done it anyway he he...

Hmmm....good question

Tine:

17 and from Canada - now I am starting to build more of a picture of you...cool. Your question about the age requirement and copyright law in Canada is a good one. I found this website you might want to visit:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/

If you cannot find your answer there, then keep looking.
As for the "legalities" of the "poor man's/woman's" copyright and it not being legal. I disagree and I really think it depends on the magistrate or judge and the severity of the litigation. Regardless, I would do it anyway. One other item Tine; you might want to do a copyright in both Canada and the US - just in case you want to work and possibly live in either country.

Good luck!!!!!!

John.

Hey, thank you for the site, I will definitely check that out... actually, now that I think about it, I do plan to move to Ireland in about 7 or 8 years... it seems like a long way off, but I just plan to finish the photography program, then go to film school, then just work for a few years and get some experience under my belt, just cause I've got some contacts there, then move to the beautiful land of my ancestry. It really is where I belong, I feel at home there. So, maybe I should get a copyright there? That is ultimately where I plan to make the film.

I hope the image you have formed of me is not a negative one... :blush: I may be 17, but I am totally 100% serious about my future as a film maker!

Back