• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Red Anamorphic & Flaring

Hey all.

Was wondering what you thought about anamorphic lenses. We are shooting Red with 1970's Russian anamorphic lenses and the DP is a big fan of lens flares.

What do you think of this style? I know it's hard to judge by a still frame, because it's important to see how the flare moves and its lifespan, but I was curious as to whether some of you follow these kinds of techniques and use of glass.

http://phantazmapictures.com/film/?page_id=1296

Last edited:
Love 'em.

The screenies look like square front Lomo's in a couple shots, others I can't really tell. But all of them are pretty crystal clear - not a common attribute on antique Russian glass - whoever's they are they scored a good find.

Details?

Stylized gimmicks (and this is what deliberate use of lens flare is) should be used minimally to enhanced and add to the visual story telling. Any technique that is overused becomes distracting and, quite frankly, looks amateurish. It's easy to fall in love with a "technique" but in my opinion, less is more.

I'm not sure the exact brand, but I'll find out and post tonight.

Instagater...fitting name. lol. Kidding. So you think the screenies look 'amateurish'? What about the use of them in Star Trek? Is this a base opinion on flares, or for the screenies I posted?

Back