• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

recording sound

I have been reading about sound recording and some say that using a DAT recorder is the best way to go. Is this true and if so does anyone know of any moderatley priced DAT recorders to use. Thanks.

So Spatula, how'd it turn out?

I've often thought about a boom mic right into my laptop for location shots. Then I thought, as long as I'm doing it on location wouldn't I want consistant sound so just use the same set up where ever and what ever I shoot. It would work just like the inexpensive digital recorders like Filmy suggested only there's no mixer.

Is there a software you can run on your laptop that will mix/level the sound to give you that wonderful consistant sound recording on multiple locations, both in and outdoor? Or is this the 'Protools' you've mentioned so far?

Protools is the ultimate audio software and harware from what I believe although i've never used it. I'm sure protools would work as a mixer. From the general opinion, it seems that a mixer is the way to go. Does anyone know of any good, reasonably cheap mixers? Is it the kind of thing you could get away with a cheap one or is it best to buy the best you could afford?

Sorry Boz, forgot to tell everyone how it went.

It was great. Kevin, our sound guy, used protools to mix, and we plugged straight into the laptop. The sound was great, and he could even plug his head phones into a jack to get great feedback. It was really quick too! He had a fancy Mac with a great battery life, so he could just make a session and put the computer on standby. He flicks it open and it's instantly ready. Very reliable.
For indoors, we'd plug it in and it'd charge... we even used it as a prop in the bar scene, as the bartender's computer in the wide shot. For an outdoor scene, Kevin ran the laptop on battery and kept it close. There were some sequences where Jenn had to hold the laptop and travel with Kevin. All in all, it went very smoothly.

I highly recommend it. Try and hire a sound guy who has protools, a laptop, and preferably an assortment of mics.
Kevin did the synching as well, plus the final mixing. I think on most indie shoots, having the boom guy be the sound editor works really well. Sound guys are always pretty cool.... a little wired at times, but in a good way nontheless.

was the plugged into xl1s problem a hissing across the spectrum? I have my camera recording noise that is unrelated to microphone or cabling or motor noise as it records with all audio disconnected. I can provide a sample if someone will tell me how to eliminate it (not in post-I know how to do that).

Back