• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recording Sound with Power Generators for Lights

How can I effectively record sound if I'm shooting outside and have an external power generator to power my lights? I have a shotgun mic right now but I don't want to pic up the hum of the generator with my characters' dialogue.

You put the generator several hundred feet away and run extension cables. You can build sound baffles to and put it between your distant generator and your set for added dampening.

It's the same problem in all situations, you need to attenuate the unwanted sounds as much as you possibly can.

As was mentioned, get the generator(s) as far from the set as possible.

Physically put as much as you can between the generator(s) and the set - cars, vans, sound blankets - absolutely anything you can manage (PGs baffles).

You can also try to get the generator(s) on the other side of a hill.

If possible put the generator in a place where the mic(s) will never be pointed directly at the generator(s).

I was on a set a few years ago where they did all of these things. The generator was surrounded by the grip trucks and had a virtual "shed" of C-stands and sound blankets on three sides and over the top of the generator. The set was over a hill about 200 yards away. For the most part the generator was at the backs of the camera and sound crew.

The extraneous noise from the generator we dealt with during audio post was manageable; still a PITA, but manageable.

You can try and find a propane generator. They can be 8-10dB quieter, and mostly the lower frequencies seem to be reduced, which should help travelling sound also.

CraigL

Back