recommened books on directing, cinematography and screenwriting

Fellow indietalk members, what book(s) would you recommend on directing? On cinematography? On screenwriting?

I've done a fair amount of research on Amazon and Google for some good books, but I trust you guys and gals the most with recommendations on books.

I know there are many more areas of film making such as production design, post production, and the whole business end. If you have any book suggestions on those areas feel free to post them.

Thanks in advance

Ponty

I haven't got too many books on directing at the moment, but I recommend Michael Rabigers Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics. Covers a whole lot of stuff including on set to theory. Can be quite a heavy read compared to some other books as it goes in depth, but fantastic!

I got very good tips with "The Complete Guide to Low-Budget Feature Filmmaking" by director Josh Becker. It is quite comprehensive, and it has tips that are very useful.

Then I got lots of directing tips from actors books such as Michael Caine acting masterclass (you can find it even in youtube), and Bruce Campbell memories.

For visuals: Cinematic Storytelling: The 100 Most Powerful Film Conventions Every Filmmaker Must Know

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!

I was also looking at a series called Master Shots vol. 1 & 2. Has anyone here ever read those? Also, has anyone read Save the Cat for screenwriting?

Gardner's Guide to Screenplay: From Idea to Successful Script by Jule Selbo .. she's pretty amazing, I took an intense 2 week course with her on scriptwriting and she helped me find the tools necessary to effectively create a story with considerable depth. Highly recommend it.

And this one is just fun for camera rigs:
Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build: How to Build Your Own Camera Cranes, Car Mounts, Stabilizers, Dollies, and More! by Dan Selakovich

Video Production

Back