Recommended Viewing - Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocolypse

Hey everyone. I wanted to recommend this filmmaking documentary to you all.

The film is Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocolypse. Eleanor Coppola (Francis Ford Coppola's wife) made this film.

She taped private conversations with Francis and the shooting of Apocolypse Now.

This movie is great. I watched it in my Video Production I class and I'm purchasing it again soon. It shows you all of the problems Francis ran into when filming this and it shows that he does lose some sleep and sanity during the making. It even shows how self-conscious he was about the film towards the end of filming and how he was on the verge of suicide.

This movie's message is great and you'll most likely learn things you didn't already know, not based upon the actual technical stuff in filmmaking, but rather the vision.

Francis had great advice at the end for beginning filmmakers:
"One day a fat girl in Ohio will make a beautiful film with her dad's 8mm camera, and I'll be history."

Go rent it or buy it, you'll love this. ;)

No. I personally believe Francis Ford Coppola owes us a 4 disc special edition DVD of Apocalypse Now. As a matter of fact he should deliver them door to door!

I have both versions of Apocalypse Now. The original $22.95 version and the now $14.95 (when I bought it $24.95) Redux version. Everyone knows there is a wealth of material and history behind this film and why there is no Special Edition DVD is beyond me.

I have not seen his wife's documentary and can not locate it on DVD or VHS. I am a little perterbed by this also. If anyone bumps into Francis tell I'm peeved.

Back