Recommended Reading

Next monday I will be a part of a workshop on how to get started as a filmmaker. I am trying to put together a reading list of books for filmmakers who are just starting out.

Naturally, I have Rebel Without A Crew, and The Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook. I even have Shaking The Money Tree, which is a book that will help you to organize your thoughts to prepare a proposal for grants and investors.

However, I would love to give more books for as many aspects of filmmaking as I can, from filmmaking to screenwriting to film festivals. I don't want to just go to Amazon and give a list. I know that many of you have books that you would recommend because you have them yourselves.

I was thinking that there may be a consensus about certain books, so if someone has a suggestion that has been given, could you just say that you agree and give another suggestion.

I will be talking to high schoolers for this workshop and I am trying to cover as much ground as I can.

Thanks guys!

-- spinner :cool:

Spinner...$30 Film School by Michael W. Dean. It gives a pretty good overall look at Film making.

I probably have others, but I've got to look around and find them!

Chris

P.S. Have fun!

Some that I've not read but were recommended here or by others and are on my "wish list" on Amazon:

Film Directing: Cinematic Motion, Second Edition
by Steven D. Katz

Film Directing: Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen (Michael Wiese Productions)
by Steven Katz

The Eye is Quicker: Film Editing: Making A Good Film Better
by Richard D. Pepperman

The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
by David Trottier (Author)

Last edited:
Okay, these are the ones I have so far. I am trying to find books that will not strike people like textbooks will. I am trying to find books that are enjoyable reads as well so people don't become discouraged the way they will with a textbook.

"Rebel Without A Crew" by Robert Rodriguez
This book is a must for every filmmaker who ever picked up a camera. This book is really a journal of everything that happened for Rodriguez leading up to the acquisition of his film, "El Mariachi". And as we know he went on to direct "Desperado", "Spy Kids" and "Sin City".

"The Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook" by Genevieve Jolliffe and Chris Jones
This book is a wealth of information on every aspect of filmmaking from training and schools, financing, production and post-production, etc. The sections are brief, but the information you get really gives you insight you will not learn unless you are a Hollywood Player".

"Make Your Own Damn Movie" by Lloyd Kaufman
If you have ever seen a movie called "The Toxic Avenger" or heard of a film company called Troma, this book will give you alot of information on how to create your own low budget films.

"Making Movies" by Sidney Lumet
Sidney Lumet is a Director's Director. Heading up such films as 12 Angry Men, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Network and many others he walks you through directing from writing to lighting and advertising in this book.

"$30 Film School" by Michael W. Dean
This book talks of how computers have made it possible to make films with very little money. The ideas here are great for people who don't have the option of a four year film school.

"The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach To Making Killer Action Movies On The Cheap"

"Shaking The Money Tree" by Morrie Warshawski
For any film that you need to request money for, you will have to write a proposal. This book will tell you in detail what it is you need to be able to answer for any grant or investor that you want to become involved with your project.

I am also trying to give a brief mention as to what the book will cover.

-- spinner :cool:

Back