Recommendation for a camera, mic, and lighting - Event Shooting/Interviews

Hey everyone,

I just got sponsored by a company who wants me to be there Director of Social Media. I will be their host and tape at a lot of events. He asked me to let him know what HD camera we should buy, mic, and lighting.

There are two options:

1. Money is no concern - we want the most high quality equipment

* What HD camera should the company buy
* What mic should the company buy - (2 types - cordless hand held mic + mics that you can pin to your clothes)
* What kind of lighting should the company buy? - (needs to be unobtrusive + be stationary and able to stand on its own)

2. Cost effective model - we're trying to save money

* What HD camera should the company buy
* What mic should the company buy - (2 types - cordless hand held mic + mics that you can pin to your clothes)
* What kind of lighting should the company buy? - (needs to be unobtrusive + be stationary and able to stand on its own)

Can you guys let me know what you recommend for the two options?

(I've just been using a regular DV camera and a really old mic so I don't know too much about this stuff).

Thanks soooo much!

Last edited:
For option 1:

Mic; a Sennheiser K6 with a ME66 capsule.

For the camera;

1. If you are going to shot to tape, a Canon XLH1A.

2. If you are going to shot tapeless, a Panasonic AGHPX300.

Just a side note, make sure that your NLE and computer is up to editing HD.

Goodluck and have fun.

Terry

Thanks Stardust.

What would you do for OPTION 2?

And what is NLE?

I do most of my work on my MacBook Pro which I'm sure wouldn't be able to handle editing HD video... what computers would be able to handle it? at least a Mac Pro right?

Hi fixie,

NLE is Non-Linear Editing system, the software used for editing.

I guess for option 2:

The Mic would be a RODE NTG2.

and for camera; a Canon XHA1S for tape,

or for tapeless Panasonic AG-HMC 150 or the Panasonic AG-HVX 200.
The memory cards on the 150 will cost a lot less.

Sorry I can't help with the lighting.

Terry

Thanks Stardust,

I just updated my original post a little with a small update.

- I need 2 types of mics: Cordless handheld + a mic you can pin on your clothes
- Lighting: needs to be unobtrusive + be stationary and be able to stand on its own

Camera options: Im looking at a Sony XR500V as a low cost option. What do you think? Considering it because of its small size and portability.

Thanks so much for the help

- I need 2 types of mics: Cordless handheld + a mic you can pin on your clothes
Several companies make "dual purpose" kits that will fit the bill - two wireless lavs and one handheld mic.

Sennheiser Evolution G2 Series Dual Basic Kit (about $1,400)

Audio-Technica ATW-1821D Deluxe Kit (about $1,800)

Lectrosonics 100 Series Deluxe Kit (about $2,500) [you'll need to get a second transmitter/receiver {about $1,400} & Tram TR-50 {about $300}; total cost about $4,200]

BTW, make sure that your wireless system is Block A or Block B; the rest of the frequency blocks - C & D - were recently outlawed for private and commercial usage. Block E is still available but its future availability is uncertain.

Last edited:
For the handheld i would go with the Lectro's as for what block to put them in i cant tell you that unless i know where you plan in using them. and as for block 28...it can still be used in the upper end in most areas...and as for being legal...no wireless system has ever been legal...it has just been something overlooked for many years as we never really bothered anyone. but not that the FCC has sold off many to Goggle and many others...there is less clean space for us to use. the big joke of it all is that the old systems came with a license to use them, haha. the lectros are sold in a frequence block...just for example so to understand:
Block 1(fake, just example) 500-600 range....now you have this block...you can tune your lectro to any frequency in this range...first you would do a scan with the receiver and find clean space...then lock it to the clean space and then set your transmitter to match it...lectro makes it very simple to do this with their menus.

but once again...you need to purchase a Block that will be good for your area.

as for a lapel mic...once again...hard to say...many people sound good on one and bad on others...the Tram is a good one to start with or a sonatrim, or even a saken. if you need to go smaller than a countryman b6...and dont forget colors...but i am thinking this is something you are going to see for your needs, so black will do just fine.

Back