Recommend me a camera plz plz plz

Yeah, another one of these threads haha.

I'm a deer in the headlights when it comes to the camera stuff. I see something that seems like a viable option, then you hear horrible comments from another person saying NOOO, that camera sucks, yadda yadda.

-Will be used for short films (mainly documentary style).
-I'm not dead set on DSLR or camcorder, but I do kind of prefer camcorder style as it's what I work with.
-I'm hoping to keep the cost between $1500-2500, with 4k being the maximum I would spend.

I've been looking at the Black Magic Cinema now that it's taken a big price drop, but I've read a lot of comments saying it's a niche camera and they wouldn't recommend it.

Obviously I'm mostly concerned with great picture quality, good low-light performance, DOF, ect.

What's hot right now in my price range?

T3i or GH2 would be the best picks around your price range. Then you have money left over for lighting, sound, and lenses.

Lenses are very important. I recommend getting a used DSLR body, and getting your own lenses. The kit lenses aren't great.

Hope all goes well :cool:

Thanks. Actually I have all my lighting and sound gear, and also a nice edit suite since I know what to look for in that regard.

But cameras and lens... uyyy not so much!

What kind of a lens would you recommend for a DSLR body?

Yeah, another one of these threads haha.

I'm a deer in the headlights when it comes to the camera stuff. I see something that seems like a viable option, then you hear horrible comments from another person saying NOOO, that camera sucks, yadda yadda.

-Will be used for short films (mainly documentary style).
-I'm not dead set on DSLR or camcorder, but I do kind of prefer camcorder style as it's what I work with.
-I'm hoping to keep the cost between $1500-2500, with 4k being the maximum I would spend.

I've been looking at the Black Magic Cinema now that it's taken a big price drop, but I've read a lot of comments saying it's a niche camera and they wouldn't recommend it.

Obviously I'm mostly concerned with great picture quality, good low-light performance, DOF, ect.

What's hot right now in my price range?

First off, a camera is simply a TOOL to do a job. So know what you will be using it for.

1. Will you be shooting for MONEY, or for a hobby? This is the first thing that you need to ask yourself.

2. I would go down to your local Pro video rental shop if you have one in your area and look at the floor models they have in your "NEED" and "Price Range." Test them out. If you find one that fits your budget and shooting needs then RENT IT and try it out for a day or two. If you end up buying they will usually credit your rental with your purchase.
Buying from a local Pro Video shop is good too if they are Authorized sells of the brands they sell. This way they can help answer any questions for you that might come up, and help you right away if you have any repair or warranty issues.

Just be sure and know what you will be using your camera for. REMEMBER, Today's "HOT CAMERA" is tomorrows old outdated news. You will get all kinds of advice and negative comments on any camera from a wide range of people. Amateurs, Pros, wanna-be pros, etc. So be careful reading reviews. If you do see a common problem or issue coming up over and over in reviews, then you might want to pay attention.

If you plan on making the camera your primary long term camera to earn MONEY, then I'd look at buying one after you rented a few you are interested in. Otherwise if you only plan on doing a short project it might make sense to just rent one or borrow one from a friend.

Remember, Cameras are just tools to accomplish a JOB. Every camera will have it's good points, and bad points, so pay attention to what YOU will be needing it for.

If you plan to buy online, I would buy from good source like B&H Photo. You can also go there and read reviews and specs on almost any camera you are looking for.

On a personal side note: ( I was hired to shoot a LIVE performance. I purchased and used the DVX100B that I paid $3,800 dollars for. I also had to rent a second DVX100B for $150 a day. I made about $5,000 dollars BEFORE camera cost. Years down the road, I was hired again to shoot the same Live Performance. I decided to go purchased two cheap Canon consumer level HD cameras for a total of $599. I shot the Live performance using both cameras. Not only did my editing go faster because it was tapeless, but everyone commented on how much BETTER the video looked this year.

Lesson learned? It's not always about how much money you spend or reviews on a camera. It's how you use what you have and what works best for the job.

What camera works BEST FOR YOU and YOUR JOB may not be what works best for me or someone else.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your input.

The problem is, this isn't for a specific job and will serve a number of different purposes, both hobby and professionally.

Professionally, I would use it for the occasional videographer gig (weddings, events, ect).

Hobby, I like to make short documentaries myself and short fiction films with friends.

Of course I don't expect a "PERFECT FOR EVERY SITUATION" camera, that would be crazy to expect on my budget, but something that could realisitically be used in the situations listed above and produce good results.

Another problem is that I live on a small island in Canada where I don't have access to a rental house so trying out gear is a great suggestion but not applicable to me unfortunately.

I'm not a "gear head", I don't need the latest greatest thing. I have no need or desire to shoot in 4k resolution or 3D or whatever the current thing is now.

Thanks very much for your input.

The problem is, this isn't for a specific job and will serve a number of different purposes, both hobby and professionally.

Professionally, I would use it for the occasional videographer gig (weddings, events, ect).

Hobby, I like to make short documentaries myself and short fiction films with friends.

Of course I don't expect a "PERFECT FOR EVERY SITUATION" camera, that would be crazy to expect on my budget, but something that could realisitically be used in the situations listed above and produce good results.

Another problem is that I live on a small island in Canada where I don't have access to a rental house so trying out gear is a great suggestion but not applicable to me unfortunately.

I'm not a "gear head", I don't need the latest greatest thing. I have no need or desire to shoot in 4k resolution or 3D or whatever the current thing is now.

I'd recommend a T3i with a Canon 24-105mm to start.

Hi Danny - you got some good advice from CastleFox. I would add one more question, though - what is your distribution channel? If theatrical projection or television broadcast is something you're interested in, there is no camera in your price range that will match the 2.5K resolution and 13 stops of dynamic range from the $2300CDN Blackmagic EF and MFT cameras.

At these prices, you might want to think about getting a $2300CDN Blackmagic MFT and a $1000 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cam as a B cam. Once the Pocket Cam gets CinemaDNG, this will be a very capable, high dynamic range, combination.

They may be "niche" cameras (I saw the Johnnie Behiri writeup on Vimeo too :)) - but that niche is pretty close to your short film/documentary wheelhouse - especially if you intend to compete in festivals, graduate to long form cinema, etc.

Johnnie can afford to be picky - he can go back to the more expensive cameras he uses in his day job as a BBC freelance cameraman - but with amateur budgets, our choices are a little more limited.

That said, for YouTube or Vimeo (or even DVD and Video on Demand) distribution, the 1.9K resolution of a 1080p DSLR or prosumer camcorder is fine.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Truth be told, I seriously was/am considering the BM CC now given the price drop, but was turned off a bit by the assertion that it wasn't meant for documentary/run and shoot kind of stuff, given it's weight and body shape.

Theater projection and TV broadcast is definitely a goal.

Last edited:
You're right, Danny - the BMCC does have the ergonomics of a doorstop :) but you can at least get it up on your shoulder for run 'n gun with a $470CDN (plus shipping and duties) Ikan CineFly rig.

This rig has a custom baseplate, designed specifically for the BMCC's bottom vents:

http://vimeo.com/68139444

You might also want to check out BMCC guru Mario Solorio's piece, "Documentary Shooting with an ENG Cinema Camera". He is shooting a feature doc with Blackmagic MFT and EF cameras.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
Back