• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Reboot to the Prologue to my film

I think anyone who saw the old one will see the improvements.

http://vimeo.com/41160061 PW is mdmpllc

I reworked the interior of the Strike Master built by Angela Bruno's creator Dr. Robert Bruno to have more Earth-like technology, since the ship that escaped from Earth was built on Earth.

I have the Delta Four Space Station and later the AI Stealth Spaceship Andromeda looking more alien and high tech because Delta Four is another world more advanced than Earth with a completely different history most noticeably because women evolved to be physically superior to their men. Their culture and traditions will be completely different to a male dominated society.

Why do it that way? Colonel Roberta Azzurra asked Artemis about that. Artemis replied, "Variety makes the universe more interesting; don't you think?"

That will also lead to more original stories from new POVs.

Is it ready to show as a sample to a TV network? I need a job. Seriously, the clock is ticking.

Depends entirely on what the job is. To me it doesn't look like something you'd ever see on air - it's got too much inconsistency, not polished enough, and doesn't show an understanding of or training in design. For an entry level job, or one where you are just doing the animation of titles based on designs created by a trained designer, it might be sufficient. But if they're looking for someone to both design and animate the titles and logos I don't think this is a great demo piece. On the other hand, if it's what you've got it's what you've got... doesn't hurt to apply for the job with it anyway.

The shadow effects are way over the top now. They should be noticeable, but barely. The only reason they are there is to help sell the illusion of the actors being in the background - they shouldn't draw attention to themselves.

Last edited:
Mike, I don't think the above sample fits the definition of a demo reel. Yours is a cut of one production.

If you are in dire need of a second job, let me pass on some advice I was given from the job service; "80% of available jobs are NOT advertised, ANYWHERE. A potential employer wants a candidate to show up on their doorstep, with a resume or complete an application. They want someone with initiative to just show up out of the blue." Of course this advice is probably more applicable to production, semi-skilled, no-skilled positions, but as you've stated, you're in desperate need of a second job.

Looks better, but I think the problem is with the big shadows that sweep by as she walks. They should just be subtle shadows on the floor. For them to sweep up across the wall like that there would have to be a strong light on the floor near the camera position, but there clearly isn't a light like that shining on the actors.

Okay, I'll look at that next. The radial blur may have something to do with that. I'm using radial blur to disperse, bend, and lighten the black mirror image like a shadow. It actually is very useful for laser beam gun effects.

I'm making a 22 minute version of the production for the SyFy Channels's pilot pitch where the film should be between 4 and 22 minutes long. Nearly half the footage was cut in the new version. It's a chance to win $5,000. So, I'm taking a shot at it.

I put it together with Adobe Premiere and it crashed a good ten times trying to render the file. I finally got it to work. So, Sony Vegas Pro isn't the only program that can crash with Windows Vista.

Ditch the shadows you've got... you're overthinking them...

duplicate the keyed subjects
The top layer stays the same...
flip the bottom layer and line up the feet
Skew the perspective of it to match the floor plane.
Turn it pure black, give it a slight blur and lower the opacity.
done.

No need for overlap or trying to emulate shadows on the subjects as they will already have shadows on them from the other actors who were in the same place... just the "contact shadows" on the floor were necessary.

I'm making a 22 minute version of the production for the SyFy Channels's pilot pitch where the film should be between 4 and 22 minutes long. Nearly half the footage was cut in the new version. It's a chance to win $5,000. So, I'm taking a shot at it.

Where are you getting this info on the Syfy pilot pitch? I've done a search on google and the syfy website, but can't find any info.

Also, this is a big improvement to what the footage was months ago. Good to see you're still chipping away with it.

I always think of it as the scene with Peter Pan sews his shadow back to his feet when I'm doing it.

Both of these tutorials ignore the lighting/shadows of the shot they're comping into... and make the shadows a little strong for my taste... but this is the technique I use. Using multiply as a composite mode will help blend the shadow into the background better as well.

This is a photoshop tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3t20TOOr2Y
This is for Final Cut X, but shows the meat of the technique starting at about 12:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTXJr1gyKao

Back