Reality TV Audio

We really should have a separate forum just for audio questions, tips and techniques.

On to my question for the resident audio gurus. If I end up shooting my fake reality show myself, I need to know how genuine reality shows are recorded. I know that there is a boom operator (or several) to record the audio in field. I am primarily concerned with post audio/foley. What kind of sound design is used in reality shows? Do they do much Foley work or ADR?

I always like to learn new things and the whole art of motion picture audio is fascinating.

The first thing to learn is that it is an art, rather than a technical skill. What I mean by this is that motion picture audio is not about recreating reality but about creating the illusion of reality. The first is a technical skill the latter is an art. In practise, you would neither want to recreate the sonic reality of "Reality TV" nor to use the workflow constraints that face many reality TV shows. It's like faking (recreating) a location news report (which have crappy sound) by filming the scene and deliberately recording crappy sound, there's a world of difference between the illusion of crappy sound and actually having crappy sound!

G

Back