• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ready for my final edit.

Now that I am ready, what import and export settings should I use on Premiere Pro. I shot at 24fps at 1080p and recorded sound in 96khz at 24bit. I exported on AVI but that was too pixelated. I tried again on MPEG blue ray, which was a lot better, but still more noisy than how it looked before importing. Also for my final, should I edit the good sound takes in Audition first, then import to my Premiere Pro edit, or should I edit all the sound in Premiere first, then export to Audition, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. I will also post on youtube, the whole film for critiquing after, but youtube, keeps pixelating my footage, especially while blown up. Any idea how to upload it better?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I prefer to do the basic audio editing in Premiere then send it to Audition to do the real audio post. This makes sure it's all in line with video.

The stuff you're sending from AFX, to Premiere can be rendered as a JPG Sequence, or easier, uncompressed (the default export setting). You can also import the after effects comp into Premiere and skip a render phase.

You don't need to reencode your DSLR footage before you edit. I know some guys do to help some with color correction, but I really don't see a difference and it's just an extra step right now. When you become a master colorist you can worry about that.

As far as export, I find the YouTube presets do really, really well. I do up the audio quality, but no matter what you give YouTube they're going to process it and it will lose some quality. Vimeo does better. Again, use the presets but change the framerate to match your sequence.

Goood luck!

It's whatever you're used to working with. If you can think in feet, 35mm works, most people in video prefer time code. It doesn't really impact the footage though, just user preference like display color.

You should probably just do the 1080 DSLR 24p preset and you'll be golden.

What about exporting? I am going to export some of my footage and give to a friend who knows more than me, about to how to make the final product look good. What's the best quality settings to export? Thanks.

Also I tried exporting on H264 blue ray, which I was told is the best but the media, is unplayable in that format.

Can you make a 'print screen' with the export setting you used for Avi?
That way we can probably tackle your problem.
I export to uncompressed Avi a lot without any problems.

For Youtube, I always use h.264/AVC with a high bitrate, and get a really good look.

But dont forget to add the &hd=1 in the end of your root link when disclose it to people. This code makes the video open automatically in HD view. The user does not notice, but is watching the best version of your work.

Back