• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

"RANDOM PURSUIT"- Short Film

Hey there! Looks like you had a good time making this, and experimenting with things. Interesting stuff you worked with. It's pretty basic, but definitely promising. It may seem somewhat small, but if there was one thing I really would suggest paying attention to, it's the fact that your title at the end says "Ramdom Pursuit" instead of "Random Pursuit." Obviously, you spent a lot of time on working your effects and everything - best to get right one of the last things we see, as an audience, which you are splashing across the screen.

I am assuming you've started your moviemaking experience similarly to how we did , a few years ago with our first short (trailer's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erYnZQXXOg ), and it was all just kind of experimenting to see if we could even make a movie. Our second ( http://www.milkandcookieproductions.com/SnBtrailer.html ) was just a continuation of that experimenting. I'd say keep going, watch every movie you can, see what you like, what you don't like, and why, and keep that in mind when you make more.

Speaking of which, keep making more! Congrats on your first short!!!!

I think this is a great exercise for you guys. Clearly you are all High School age, so this is a great time to grab a camera and spend as much time learning about the craft as you can.

Obviously by the way this is set up and played out, it seems someone wanted to practice their AfterEffects skills...I think for the most part they are pretty good. I personally hate breaking the fourth-wall by spraying blood on the camera...that completely breaks the rules in a fictional narrative. They did this in District 9 (a film I loved), and it annoyed me completely. I don't get the concept behind illustrating to the audience that there is a lens/camera shooting this make-believe story...it really bugs me. Anyway...it looked cool and well done...but I hate the concept.

Your camera work is pretty messy. I'm not at all a fan of handheld work in general (unless its super well-crafted like the Borne series). It shows me that filmmakers are lazy, and can't be bothered to use a tripod and compose a shot. I know this is not always the case, but I know by watching many DPs on indie sets...it is the case. It's like, 'fuck it, I'm not a great camera man or DP, so I'll just shoot it 'raw' and no one will judge it as art.' Or whatever. Another reason DPs like to give is it adds 'tension'...pshhh...I think it *can* add tension...but I think that is a crutch. It's become a style I don't like. Anyway. I'll STFU on that topic for now.

Lighting: I imagine you guys have zero budget...but if you're making movies, and are serious about it, you're going to have to start lighting your scenes sooner or later. As of now your image and compositions are flat and too dark. It's best to start now...get a few cheap work lights and a few different color gels...get comfortable with color, temperature, intensity, and shadow...

Story: we won't go there, you didn't have one.

I think you guys are doing a great job learning...keep it up.

Last edited:
Back