Rain drops and audio

This week where I live, we have been plagued with constant Rain fall. Sunday I shoot a scene in a room and it is scheduled to rain that day. What i am concerned about is picking up the rain droplets on my audio recordings. Is this Bad? If so, would I be able to remove it?

You are ALWAYS going to pick up whatever ambient sound is in your location - appliances, neighbors, birds, surf, traffic, crickets... rain - indoors or out. Except for real sound stages there will always be ambient noise that needs to be dealt with. The trick is to minimize the affect of all this noise upon the production sound. First, of course, is properly aiming the mic (I told you that you should start aiming the mic right away...).

The second is protecting the mic from the affects of the rain on the mic itself. If you are shooting outdoors I hope you have a blimp and dead cat. The dead cat deadens the impact of raindrops on the mic/blimp. I would also suggest that you get a box of unlubricated condoms; put one on the mic before you insert it in the clip. This protects the mic from excessive moisture.

Now, when it comes to indoors, the same applies - properly aiming the mic. You should prep the room as usual, and, if they are not in the shot(s), put extra sound insulation over the windows and doors to mute the sound of the rain as much as you can.

Run several test recordings and audition them on-set. The script may have to be modified to account for the rainfall as it is close to impossible to scrub it from the dialog tracks in audio post. Also capture LOTS of extra room-tone; light rain, medium rain, heavy rain, wind-driven rain. It's a real PITA during the shoot, but your audio post team will adore you for it.

Damn, Condoms really great idea.

If you decide to pursue production sound as a career when you step up to the bigs your job as the new cable wrangler/audio assistant will be to go buy a gross of unlubricated condoms when a fresh supply is needed. The looks of perplexity and admiration combined are priceless.

Why do you suggest the different recordings of rain?

Because the audio post team will have to match the rain of the production dialog with your "room-tone" rain; the more they have to work with, the easier their job will be. If you do things that make the job of the audio post team easier you'll be the guy they recommend (provided. of course, the rest of your work is solid).

And, of course, it's always nice to have all those different rain sounds in your sound library.

Keepin it real in the mid west.

For a while I was wondering how to get audio for out doors when it's raining, can't believe never thought of condoms. Not gonna do it though, I juuuuust got my equipment and don't want to risk anything but who knows maybe in the future, thanks a lot man.

I shot in the rain recently.. I didn't even try to record audio because I was afraid of the risk to the ntg3

So an unlubricated condom eh...and then a plastic bag over my audio bag?

Condom-Mic-002-96.jpg

cccondom.jpg

Most pro audio bags will have a clear plastic "window" so you can see your screen/meters/etc. and access your manual controls.

porta-brace-ar-p82-audio-recorder-case.jpg

All this talk about condoms and Saran Wrap reminds me of a song from my misguided youth... "Saran Wrap" by The Fugs Live at the Filmore East. Not to be confused with David Peel and the Lower East Side's "Saran Wrap". Saran Wrap was very popular back in the 60's.

On a serious note, any idea how much sound a condom would block or distort?

Back