Rail brackets

OK guys, totally ignorant when it comes to rails, and trying to construct my own rig. I found a great deal on 18" 15mm carbon fiber rails, got a pair of 18" for $40. nex step would be the brackets with a hole on each side to connect the two rails together into a unit. I keep searching online with no success, anybody have a lead on where I could get some? I'll of course want to add a camera mount, arms, etc.. later, but first step is just stabilizing the two rails right?

OK guys, totally ignorant when it comes to rails, and trying to construct my own rig. I found a great deal on 18" 15mm carbon fiber rails, got a pair of 18" for $40. nex step would be the brackets with a hole on each side to connect the two rails together into a unit. I keep searching online with no success, anybody have a lead on where I could get some? I'll of course want to add a camera mount, arms, etc.. later, but first step is just stabilizing the two rails right?

A tripod base will do that by default as will a camera mount. Jag35 and CPM Filmtools are considered a couple of the more cost friendly companies for these type of parts and accessories. Happy hunting! :cool:

Hey Gonzo,
I went down that road and it is frustrating.

I start here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/DSLR-Video-Rig-Accessories/ci/16565/N/4276112049 and browse ...

which gets me the right name and description for the bits and pieces which make google and ebay searches much more useful.

Though, its hard to beat the prices on http://www.indisystem.com/ rigs trying to piece together your own.

I finally gave up DIY for the entire rig and found one of those ^^^ systems on EBAY. Now, I do drill and tap my own holes in the aluminum bits if I need em, so DIY is stll part of it. Also, since I'm going to DSLR I needed to expand to off set setup, I found a Letus offset bit an ordered some shorter carbon fiber rails for pretty cheap, so I reused what I had, added three parts and now its offset.

Last edited:
Wish I could afford something like this. :( It's damned expensive though, and indiesystem are cheap compared to the others out there. I don't get it how they can charge thousands of dollars for someting like a set of rails and a matte box.
:( I really do want a railsystem, matte box and a follow focus though.

Wish I could afford something like this. :( It's damned expensive though, and indiesystem are cheap compared to the others out there. I don't get it how they can charge thousands of dollars for someting like a set of rails and a matte box.
:( I really do want a railsystem, matte box and a follow focus though.

Supply and demand, and used to dealing in a market (professional filmmakers) where several thousand bucks on a piece of gear is "normal". When you're spending 35K on a Red One $1500 for a mattte box is pocket change.

I should get in touch with my buddy who works for CN Rail-no I'm not saying I'm gonna lay down train rails, but I wonder if he might have some ideas.

I've always loved the idea of a rail system to do smooth "moving" shots, particularly outdoors.

Back