• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Quick tips for come up with scripts!

Well... my first (male) gut reaction was "Wear a T-shirt or something more clingy."

HOWEVER...

I actually do pay attention to the rest of the material available and can now absolutely defend your personal style as to avoid that route.
Guys are dumb. Pander to it or rise above.
You're too smart for that juvenile rubbish, so cool.

Mooooooving onto more practical concerns.

On the germane 0:25 second video, the text rolls out over the buttons @ 0:14... and then rolls away 0:17.
Umm...

Oughtta rework that video ASAP, IMHO.

Buttons with text should be there throughout the video or at least appear the moment you begin to speak about "today's tutorial" @ 0:08.

Audio is good. Wha'd you use?

And you need a more engaging background, albeit not a distraction from the talent, yourself in this case.

Nice suggestion about reading the newspaper and books, the former being a fave source of mine: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=41762

Are you doing these videos as a proof of concept or is this about as pithy as you expect they're going to always remain?
Seems like with your education you could deliver more in depth content.
These seem rather 'light.'

PS, re http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Udh23NHkVo
"Published on Sep 14, 2012 by JellyBeeFilms
Nina Niko here explaining the basics of team work and how I think Battlefield
3 can relate, I work in the film industry and i see many similarities.Why oh
why, is there no VOIP in this game it still deludes me"

eludes. ;)

Funny: You're working on your Film MA but it seems you're professionally more interested in business administration and journalism. :lol:

Last edited:
The Link/Buttons are really annoying...Virtually unreadable. Had to watch the first one three times before I just gave up trying to read what it said and clicked one randomly.

Spent a few minutes watching/rewatching, pausing to try and read the buttons, then trying to go back to the first one to find a link to the second episode...

That's a few mins clicking about about for just over 80 seconds of content!!!

At least provide links in the vid descriptions to the "next" episode, with the very short video content you lost me so quickly.

Try not to look down in the middle of a sentence it's distracting. Better to deliver the basic concept straight to camera than reading the exact lines straight off the page.

Not bad advice, but a little watered down, wouldn't you say? Newspapers and books... from the library? What is this, the 1990s? I personally find the internet to be the best source for stories. This link is a good example of what I'm talking about: http://www.damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/#more-4514

Also, I hate it when people tell you to only write what you know and experience. That's so limiting! Obviously, you want to write what you know and experience but you also want to read and explore other people's experiences and write what they know, otherwise you'll end up with boring movies about the suburbs or that trip you took to Disney World. Its far more rewarding and better for your movies if you learn how to fully be aware of other people, including their emotions, rationalities for actions, paradigm of understanding the World around them, etc.

Lastly, I don't like the message, "Don't be original." I get what she's saying about it hindering creativity, but can't you find a balance between originality and creativity? Obviously, every movie will share common elements that aren't original, but that doesn't mean your entire stories need to be cliche, even if they're really creative. If everyone decided not to be original so that they could boost their creativity, then we wouldn't have Inception or the Matrix. As creative as they were, both of those movies were pretty far removed from cliches, despite minor parts within them.

Back