Quick Audio Question

Hey everyone!

Huge noob question here, but I was just thinking about it last night.

If you buy an external audio recorder such as the H4n, and then plug your shotgun mic into it and everything, do you just sync the audio in post? I suck at syncing so would it just be best to plug the mic into the camera or use a clapboard, or what?

If you're confused or need clarity, let me know. I'm sure I can write it out better than that if it doesn't make sense.

Thanks!

Kevin

If you record audio externally (for example using the Zoom H4N) you will need to sync in post.

Going directly into camera negates the need for syncing but the quality will not be as good.

Using a clapper board still means that you'll need to sync it, it simple acts as an AV cue for you to match up during the sync.

All external audio recorders usually receive a reference signal such as time code to be synced with the cameras when they record together at the same time so this process is easier in post.

With the H4n that doesn't have this option, it's best to just simply clap your hands before each shot and keep good notes as to what shot goes with which audio file so you can sync them up later.

Direct to camera sounds bad but on some Sony cameras I have heard the camera sounds better than any H4n.

As the guy who sometimes has to sync the audio - or have an intern do it :D - I really prefer a visual and audio slate over a simple handclap.

"Scene 7a, take 4." SMACK!!!

You should also be keeping copious, detailed video and audio logs of every take - scene, take and time code(s).

It saves a lot of confusion (read: money) when syncing in audio post. Yes, some software helpers like PluralEyes are out there, but they do not work all the time, and don't work at all when working with real film; there's no audio to sync to with real film, and the sync sound may not be good enough for things like PluralEyes to work.

I'm something of a fanatic about sticking to the boring details of process. People always want to rush through these things, or forget them altogether, but they end up saving you time and money - and arguments - later on. It's also a good habit to get into; it will be expected if you end up on a truly professional set and forgetting could cost the project a lot of money - and you your job!

Here's something just for laughs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul04AA3R4d0

Back