Questions On Getting Into Filmmaking

Hello
I'm 16 years old. Been a cinephile for more than two years now and I've assumed it's time for me to start creating films of my own. Been looking for a camera to purchase and shoot with for a week now and I'm as lost as I was before i even started searching. I don't really know anyone i can talk to about these kinds of issues so I was hoping for some help from this forum.
All in all, I'd like to get some recommendations on which camera to buy. Personally I'm thinking of getting a GoPro Hero3+ and a steadicam holder for it. Haven't got the biggest of budget but I guess I could spend up to 1000 dollars for all the gear together.
For the moment I'm considering getting a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver(300 dollars) and a Steadicam Curve (125 dollars). Was also thinking of switching the Steadicam Curve to a Gimbal Feiyu G3 Camera Mount for 300 dollars.
What do you think?
Sorry for the messy post, haven't slept for a long time. Thanks in advance.
Cyrosi

Buy a cheap used camera with auto features you can turn off.

Film some story ideas and edit them together, show to strangers. Accept all criticisms without getting angry.

Make several more short films and complete them and show them to strangers.

After you have COMPLETED several shorts, you will know if the film business is for you.

There are no short cuts in this business And there are PLENTY of people ready to suck you dry financially.

Good luck

Any camera is fine for starting out, even a phone or cheap point and shoot. You'll learn very quickly what is wrong with it and then you'll be able to pick out a decent camera that fits your needs better.

What type of films are you planning to make? If you're making narrative films, I recommend against a gopro. Gopros are fantastic for mounting on your helmet and jumping off a cliff, but their size, lack of manual controls, fisheye view among other things make them a pain to shoot with.

Gopros are an interesting case, a camera for a very particular purpose - first person footage. For traditional movies, pick up a used EOS-M (~260 with kit lens)... the core image system there has been used in many a film that has gone to theaters. Then just go to town making your own movies.

As to life choices - don't throw all your eggs into the movie basket. Study something that can lead to a quality paying career, and make movies on the side!

Gopro movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCX65UwLls

Eos movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ZV-bwZmBw

Last edited:
I personally would go with a Canon t2i/550D with kit lens (~$350). This way you can do manual focusing with a focus ring (which is hugely important to narrative filmmaking IMHO), getting that nice rack focus you see in the theatres. Regardless of what camera you buy however, the lights and sound are going to be equally as important, if not moreso in order to achieve that "real film" look. Additionally, locations, makeup, shot composition and great planning are all pieces of the puzzle that is filmmaking. Good luck, and follow the NO ZEROS rule: Never let a day pass without taking at least one step toward your goal; even if you only write one sentence, at least you're staying engaged and motivated.

What type of films are you planning to make? If you're making narrative films, I recommend against a gopro. Gopros are fantastic for mounting on your helmet and jumping off a cliff, but their size, lack of manual controls, fisheye view among other things make them a pain to shoot with.

I already have a script that has a major focus on character development via narrative. Was also planning on doing cinematography and camerawork in line with Terrence Malick's latest films, the trailer for his next film being a good example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI2j1FHCjtM

I already have a script that has a major focus on character development via narrative. Was also planning on doing cinematography and camerawork in line with Terrence Malick's latest films, the trailer for his next film being a good example.

That team is one of the singular examples of majority wide shooting today. Another example is King's Speech. This is a more rarely used look, and requires focus on what your set will be (as its mostly in focus and easy to take in). One thing, wide is very fun to shoot, and gives the appearance of accelerated motion on the forward axis.

Gopro does not have an lcd, so it will require an external monitor to frame shots, and is fisheye (wider than Malick Ultrawide) so you will probably want to use 2.7k M crop mode on the Gopro, at 48 fps (and there will be a little barrel distortion to correct in post, if you want that rectilinear Malick ultrawide). Shutter is not locked, so you won't be able to keep the exposure of the shot from pumping while recording (unlike said Malick films). Now, you will be able to shoot ultra wide on EOS-M, though it is considerably softer than Gopro. The kit lens would do nicely, fully pulled back.

Last edited:

If I were you, I would go with a DSLR. Gopros aren't built for manual control (or really control at all). Sage mentioned a hacked GH2, which would not be a bad option by any means, but bear in mind that wide angle shots on a MFT size sensor like the GH2's are harder than on APS-C sensors like the EOS-M or T2i.

Once you have decided what kind of films you want to make, then you can figure out how to shoehorn the gear you will need into your budget.

Narrative, documentary, "action" clips (X-Sports, for example)... They all have their own specific requirements.

And don't forget about sound.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience."

If you are just starting out like me and have a reasonably good smart phone (iPhone is the best) you can use that. There are also many apps available to edit your film.

I use my iPhone 5 now and its really good quality actually (full hd) with quite good sound. My films are not that great yet and I am still learning how to properly plan and write a film so until then this does me fine.

Back