distribution Question for @mlesemann...

Hey @mlesemann...

Just watched the following video from some guy who looks like he's trying to sell a course teaching filmmakers how to get their films financed... But this particular video discusses where potential revenue comes from and as I was watching it, I wondered how close your experience with your films was to what he says in this video. If you get the chance to give it a look-see, I'd be interested in your comments...

Thanks!

Solution
wondered how close your experience with your films was to what he says in this video.
I watched/listened to all of it.

Short answer: the only part that's realistic is at the end re aggregators.

Much longer answer:

As someone who has made very low budget movies (each was under $1 mil in production cost), I don't consider this to be realistic. It's also similar to explanations that I've read and heard in many other venues. If your movie doesn't get into Sundance, Cannes, Berlin, etc (AND VERY FEW DO), this is "dreams are free" ideas.

I had a sales agent for my first feature, and he brought me several distribution offers. On my 2nd feature, several distributors reached out to me. NONE of these offers incorporated any...
wondered how close your experience with your films was to what he says in this video.
I watched/listened to all of it.

Short answer: the only part that's realistic is at the end re aggregators.

Much longer answer:

As someone who has made very low budget movies (each was under $1 mil in production cost), I don't consider this to be realistic. It's also similar to explanations that I've read and heard in many other venues. If your movie doesn't get into Sundance, Cannes, Berlin, etc (AND VERY FEW DO), this is "dreams are free" ideas.

I had a sales agent for my first feature, and he brought me several distribution offers. On my 2nd feature, several distributors reached out to me. NONE of these offers incorporated any upfront/minimum guaranteed money. I was also (very) concerned about the lack of clarity regarding what would be spent on marketing. After speaking to many people whose opinion & expertise I value, I passed on all of them and opted for self-distribution.

I did make some money from some limited theatrical screenings - maybe 5%.

I sold some DVD's of my first feature - maybe another 5%.

NONE of the streamers offered me up front money, and the same is true for the other indie filmmakers who I've spoken with and who are in my budget range.

Having said that, I DO make money from streamers via aggregators, both pay per view streamers and those who are ad supported. Some pay (much) better than others. Some of them are international although most are domestic. I expect to add more foreign language sub-titles over the next couple of years.

I continue to add more streamers on an ongoing basis, and love seeing it get viewed all over the worlds.

I tried to keep this (somewhat) brief, but I'm always happy to answer questions.

Last edited:
Solution
And? That's more or less what I thought... Based on some of my own experiences too. He's just selling the DREAM.

Thanks so much.

*EDIT: I should say... Indirectly SELLING the DREAM (in this video even though he's talking about revenue) by how he puts certain things OUT there yet at the same time, makes it seem like you know... Getting into Sundance is easy. LOL. Once you get in there? It's bidding war time. I guess that's more or less what I hate about people like this who SELL the DREAM. They do it with screenwriting and writing novels too. They seem to largely SKIP over really learning your craft and or being able to make a film someone can actually SIT through for an hour an a half. That? In and of itself is certainly a FEAT whether you make it into Sundance or not.

I guess what I'm saying is that the industry seems LITTERED with predators who know a lot of US are going to think OUR film, our screenplay, our book is going to be the film, the screenplay, or book that breaks through because it's so damn good. LOL.

It reminds me personally of a handful of screenwriters I've helped out over the years who ended up spending over $5K over a certain period of time to screenwriting "gurus" of one kind or another to help them get their screenplay into the market. In several of these cases, I was even privy to the NOTES these screenwriters paid big money for. It always reminds me of this scene in PHOENIX about Parasitic Castration:

Last edited:
Back