• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about using the clone stamp tool.

I tried using it to remove things unwanted in the background of some shots of mine. Like if something was on the wall, I just clone the wall, and move it over top, but it looks smudged. Is this tool effective for removing the smudge look or what's it suppose to be use for? Thanks.

I tried using it to remove things unwanted in the background of some shots of mine. Like if something was on the wall, I just clone the wall, and move it over top, but it looks smudged. Is this tool effective for removing the smudge look or what's it suppose to be use for? Thanks.

Very hard to answer your specific question without a screenshot. I don't know why you're so averse to uploading images - you'd get much more useful answers if you did.

Is this tool effective for removing the smudge look

1) It might be. There are other tools you should consider as well, such as Healing brushes and the Patch Tool. Further down the line, the History brushes can be useful.

2) Look up video tutorials for what you are trying to do.

3) Post some screenies

Last edited:
My 2c:

Hire someone, or ask someone who knows how to composite to do your compositing. You're not doing yourself or your film any favours by trying to do every single role.

That said, post some screenshots and we'll be more able to help you.

The wall will look smudged, especially because it's a video.

Clone stamping supposed to be used on the one image. It takes skill , practice and time to blend in the clone-stamped area. The problem arises when you re trying to do it for video because now you re trying to clone stamp 24 images a second; your clone stamped area isn't the same as from an image before that. That will cause the clone stamped area to be smudged.

Instead of clone stamping I would duplicate the footage and overlay it on the original one, move the second footage over, mask it and feather it. I don't think there is a tutorial for that. It just something that you ll have to figure out how to do or find someone who is proficient with After Effects.

Or just stop worrying about whatever you re trying to do and focus on the bigger basic picture, like:
How is my sound??? Is my roomtone consistent without weird hisses?
Do my cuts make sense?? Did I cut everything as short as possible? Any more fat that I can get rid off??

Get your basics down snd stop sweating over weird details that you keep posting.

I second the duplicate, move and mask method... I use it all the time. Works like a champ (make sure you slide a bit of the wall that has similar values in color and light or it'll look weirder than where you started.

Oh, and it doesn't take special software to pull this one off, just do it in your editor.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Photoshop now?

In that case: cloning will hide the unwanted objects, but you will probably have a strange cloned area flickering in the image.
When the frame isn't moving: use photoshop to create a layer to hide the unwanted object.
Add some videonoise in AE to the layers, otherwise it will look cleaner than the rest of the image.

Or: ignore the little mistakes.
These things happen!
And finish your short :)

Back