• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about using reverb in Adobe Audition.

In the reverb options, they give choices 'large bathroom, hall, empty living room, etc.

But what if you want to hear a voice or sound that is outside the room, in which the scene is in? I want to hear someone's voice come from another room, what then? Or if I what if I have a scene where a car is pulled over in a parking spot, and their is a lot of heavy traffic out the window. I have traffic sounds, but how do I make it sound like the sound of traffic is from the interior of the car's point of view?

I can't find an online manual that talks about any other place to access reverbs like that, other than the choices that are under the 'reverb' option.

See, you're once again looking for a "one-button" solution. You record a basic ambience of anything only as a basic "canvas" on which to "paint" other sounds.

I have numerous versions of "Empty Street" which is just the basic "air" of various locations. Over that I will put in whatever I see or what "emotionally" the story needs. So I'll pull up my NYC Empty Street, and then edit in individually the car passes & horns, people, dogs, construction, etc. I've never recorded an inside the car ambience, I've constructed them (usually using some version of Empty Street as my canvas) with numerous sound effects then used the techniques we've previously discussed - EQ, reverb and the like - to put it inside the car. I've had 10 or more tracks just for the ambience of a location.

Filmmaking is the business of creating visual and sonic ILLUSIONS. 95% of the time reality isn't what is needed. You need to create from scratch a reality that the audience will believe.

We've discussed these concepts time after time and you just don't get it.

I didn't say that this is a one button solution, I just said I hope some off axis sounds in the background of the recording are okay, since the streets are filled with sounds from all over. Even if I add more sounds, their are still the background off axis sounds in that particular track. On every track, really. If I record construction, their will still be off axis sound coming from something else on the street. If I record horns, their will still be off axis sound from somewhere else on the street. So every track has off axis sounds cause they are recorded on the street, which is full of sounds from all over. So their will be off axis sounds no how many tracks I throw on.

And just because I ask a question about how do something, does not mean I am looking for a one button solution, it just means that I am looking for a solution in general, whatever that solution may be.

Last edited:
tumblr_ly2toleFWz1rn0qyoo1_250.gif

Back