• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about using Mashups

Hey everyone, I just got Milkman's permission to use his music in my upcoming film. The only question I have is, if he uses samples from other songs, does that mean that I can still use his music. I'm hoping to submit this film to a festival, so I have to know if I can use his music without getting in copyright trouble. He gave me the permission to use it, but does that matter?

The bottom line is that mashups themselves are illegal 99% of the time. So unless the artists of the original music used to create the mashup in the first place grant permission both for its inclusion and its very existence -- and the other applicable licenses are obtained, then no don't do it.

So I guess the short answer is, you're much better off finding something that you can legally use, and can prove that you have all the legal rights to use it.

There's really no way to get legal rights to use a mashup, since they aren't made within the bounds of copyright legality in the first place.

Alright, but what if using a mashup makes a point I raise within the film. I know that in the RIP: A Remix Manifesto, he was making a statement by using the music. In my film, there are two parallel stories being told that are connected through montages and where they are doing the same thing. In that case, I'm using a mashup to show that they are essentially the same and that one character is turning into another. Could I make a point and still use it, because I have a song in mind and no other song besides this mashup I have in mind could work.

Back