• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about using After Effects.

I exported some footage to see how a rotoscoping effect I tried, looked after it was finished. But when I tried to play the exported video, it won't play. It keeps constantly pausing and just won't. Any other video will play find though. But not after coming out of AE. I exported on lossless, 24p at 1080p. No audio, just video. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

What's the size/time length of the file you exported. Also, what is your hardware? CPU/Video card and throw in the hdd while you're at it.

It kind of sounds like the footage that you've exported is something that your computer cannot handle playing. You may need a gruntier machine and a SSD drive. Though I'm not convinced this is the issue as most modern machines should be able to play 1080p, even when uncompressed, unless you're using one of these retarded netbook machines that have less power than an iphone. To test this, try exporting it at a lower resolution. Maybe something like 480p... just to see.

If it doesn't work, include the export settings and what you're trying to play it on. Eg. vlc.

I don't like the render program built into AE so I also export through Media Encoder unless I need the transparency or am uncompressed file, so that might be more worth doing because then you have the more familiar presets of Premiere

I disagree with Sweetie, I can easily render footage that struggles to playback at all on my 12 core, 24GB RAM monster system. Try rendering and playing back a high quality animation png. The default quicktime player will blow up!

Nothing wrong, dude. It's normal. Lossless (uncompressed) .avi 1080p footage are THAT hard to playback. What you have to do is import it to your NLE software and render it to the final video format that you will use.

I disagree with Sweetie, I can easily render footage that struggles to playback at all on my 12 core, 24GB RAM monster system. Try rendering and playing back a high quality animation png. The default quicktime player will blow up!

On a fastish SSD HDD?

Edit: I also assume you have a decent video card too. Maybe that's too much to assume sometimes.

Edit #2:
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video
1080i and 1080p HDTV uncompressed
8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps = 95 MB per/sec, or 334 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps = 127 MB per/sec, or 445 GB per/hr.
8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 25fps = 99 MB per/sec, or 348 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 25fps = 132 MB per/sec, or 463 GB per/hr.
8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97fps = 119 MB per/sec, or 417 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97fps = 158 MB per/sec, or 556 GB per/hr.

1080i and 1080p HDTV RGB (4:4:4) uncompressed
10 bit @ 1280 x 720p @ 60fps = 211 MB per/sec, or 742 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps = 190 MB per/sec, or 667 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 50i = 198 MB per/sec, or 695 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60i = 237 MB per/sec, or 834 GB per/hr.

There are plenty of those settings (and higher up settings that would require higher bandwidth usage) that would make normal SATA3 drives sweat. The pausing comes from a bottleneck. When you're talking uncompressed formats, the bottleneck is sometimes the video card not being able to keep up with the raw data being thrown at it, other times its the hard drive not being able to keep up.

If its freezing, you're hitting a bottleneck somewhere. When there is little information to go by, it's hard to determine the cause.

Imagine what's required to play uncompressed 4k footage without freezing.

Last edited:
Sweetie,
Id like to test my system with an AE render at your max setting..

10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60i = 237 MB per/sec, or 834 GB per/hr.

Regardless of source material, I should be able to render out to that. What are the AE settings to use?

Thanks

Your harddrive is just too slow.
And so is mine.
2 Disks in RAID can just barely play it (if the disks aren't too full or to fragmented).

HOW TO WATCH IT ANYWAY:
Import the clip in Premiere.
Add Colorista (you can download a free version at red giant) without 'using' it (this means the effect is active, but the settings aren't changed: this way the image is not altered by it): this forces Premiere to render a preview when you hit enter.
Et voila, you can see the result through a slightly compressed preview.

So, you don't do something wrong.
You just don't seem to know what uncompressed means for your computer.
Uncompressed is a way to preserve every pixel, but not the best way to playback something.

What Sweetie says about smaller dimensions is a way to go, but 480 from a 1080 is a bit silly: there is no proper numerical relation between the two. (480x2,25=1080)
Better use 360 (a bit small, but precisely 1/3, or 960x540: exactly 1/2 of 1080p).
Although this can give you some insight in how the footage turned out, you can't see the little 1-pixel mistakes.

Back