Question about using After Effects and motion blur.

If I want to add motion blur to a scene, then I click the motion blur button, as was shown to be on a tutorial. However in some shots, no motion blur is added after I enable it. Can the program sometimes not detect where to put the motion blur based on how the footage was shot, maybe?

You can't just turn on motion blur on a non-animated layer and expect AE to make it look like you shot with a slower shutter speed (for example). You can, however, use frame blending. As you would know if you had read the manual.

You can use motion blur when you animate a layer—for example, moving a layer of text across the screen. You cannot add motion blur to motion that already exists within a layer by means of the Motion Blur layer switch and Enable Motion Blur composition switch.

If you want to smooth live-action video to which you assigned a frame rate much lower or higher than the original, use frame blending, not motion blur.

There's an effect called "force motion blur" that will add motion blur to video inside after effects even if it isn't animated. It will take forever to render and doesn't always do the trick. Worth a try though.

Motion Blur by itself doesn't do anything. You have to KEYFRAME the effect to see it work. There is a direction, amount, lens type, etc. that all need to be keyframed to match the motion of your shot to see anything different.

Back