• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about Timecode on a field recorder

The field recorder I'm looking at getting is a Tascam HD-P2, listed here: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAS-HDP2-LIST

It says, under specs: "Time Code Types: 23.976,24,25,29,29.97 DF/NDF, 30 DF/NDF "

Now, I'm not really up to speed (no pun intended) on timecode.

If I hit record and have the timecode set to 23.976, does that mean the audio is recorded at 23.976 frames per second, so if I put the audio on a video that is 23.976 frames per second, it will match perfectly without the audio needing to be adjusted to match the speed of the video?

Thanks.

yes you are correct...both video and sound will be in perfect sync and you should use Time of Day code set to Free Run and this is best when recording Longitudinal Time Code. And always use a slate. Timecode slate if you have one and that would have to be set to proper code as well...if not any slate will do...but you wont have a reference time code and user bit to make your syncing easier.

im in the middel of a film now...but plan to go into Time Code in the Audio Tips section as soon as i have time...and will try my best to explain it as simply as i can...no reason to go into it too deep...but it helps to have an understanding of how it works and how much it helps in editing as well.

i would also call about that deck...as it does not look like it has a built in TimeCode Generator and can only except time code jam. and i dont see a time code output that you can jam other machines, cameras or a slate?? If i you have any other links for this deck...let me know, i just dont have time now to look around. also you want to record at 48kh 24bit in a BWF Poly files, which is a wav file.

hope this is of some help to you

Last edited:
Back