• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about room tone editing.

For example, let's say an actor is saying a couple of words in a scene, but I wanted to take that recording, and splice it in another scene, of her saying the same thing. The problem is, is that she sounds different saying those words in one room, as she does the other. Or if I wanted to use ADR to fix some dialogue not recorded well, the ADR is going to sound different, than the sound of actors voices recorded in the room before. How do I make it sound like it is, in post? I am getting the free trial of Adobe Audition, but will it help in the case exactly? I looked it up and asked around but some sites didn't specify too much on it.

I'm not much of an audio techie, but if you do ADR, do it in the same room you shot in?
You get the same ambient noise and the same acoustics, so it shouldn't sound different.

I'm guessing you re doing adr in your living room?
Gotta do ADR is sound treated room with no echoes. Look up room sound isolation on google. Your goal is to reduce room tone to a minimum. Have you been inside recording studio? Its exctremely quite, almost to an uncomfortable. That's the ideal place to record ADR.

Last edited:
First off, this has nothing to do with room tone. This is all about dialog editing and ADR matching.

The short answer is you hire a professional who knows what s/he's doing.

The medium answer is you use EQ, an IR reverb (like Altiverb) and your ears in a treated room with nice speakers to make all of the disparate pieces sound similar. There is no magic bullet; you can spend hours getting just a few lines to match. ADRing the entire scene is a lot easier a very large percentage of the time.

The long explanation is in John Purcells "Dialog Editing." I recommended this book to you months ago; have you read it yet?

You want an explanation for doing on the cheap something that takes the proper gear and lots of experience to pull off convincingly. That's why I spend so much explaining to indie types that you have to capture production sound properly, so you don't have these issues to begin with.

I tried looking for some of your books back then, but the book store couldn't order any of those, and didn't have them in their system. Some book store. I never thought of trying to library, but I will. I am going to try amazon. I did have a sound guy who had all that taken care of, and just said to leave it all to him, but then he backs out a few weeks before shooting, and I'm left to learn a lot more. I might ADR the whole thing after it's done, if I have to. I'm trying to figure out if I can take the actor into a room with similar acoustics and make it sound the same now. I'd have to do that to get the ADR to sound right for the scene anyway I'm guessing.

I tried looking for some of your books back then, but the book store couldn't order any of those, and didn't have them in their system. Some book store.

Hey man, just something I noticed, with your posts, you buy everything in physical brick & mortar stores... Any reason why?

You obviously have internet. I'm all about supporting local business when I can, but filmmaking is a specialty thing that unless you live in LA you pretty much have to order most of it.

Most online stores are pretty reputable. I order tons online, it usually costs less than local too.

Just an observation..

Okay thanks a lot. I'll start with the dialogue editing one. Wish I would have ordered it way back, but for some reason just didn't think of Amazon. If I didn't capture the production audio properly, then I don't mind having more issues to deal with in post, especially if they are fixable with post work.

I was playing back the dialogue and got all worried that I should have saved up more money for more T stands and blankets etc. But I just got to get my confidence back, now that I'm getting near the end.

Last edited:
Back