Question about "rereleasing" films at festivals

My situation is a little unique. I am working on a 3D animated film. It's a high fantasy saga which I was originally going to release as 2 volumes (ala "Kill Bill"). I recently saw that due to the cliffhanger nature of the story, I could easily split it into 4 30 minute segments. As I will be done animating volume I this month, I have decided to stop there, polish and do post on Volume I, release it at film festivals, then do the same each year for Volumes II and III.(Animation takes a looong time so a year per volume is very optimistic) When Volume IV is finished I plan on compiling all 4 Volumes into one long feature length film.
The benefits to me are that I can steadily build an audience, get feedback, and possibly get distributors interested in the feature when it is done. Also, I really need to have something concrete behind me for my own personal motivation. What I have I think is going to be good, but it's all quickshaded renders right now.
My concern is that due to the fact that the individual have screened at festivals in the past, the feature may not be considered since parts of it were shown before.
Has anyone had experience with this kind of serialized fiction at fetivals before? I am also concerned that because each volume is not self contained (like the Lord of the Rings movies) that they may be denied by festivals that want all their films to stand alone.

Well, my opinion, which is all that is - an opinion, be selective about the festivals. Traditional film fests (IE Cannes, Sundance, etc.) aren't the right path, but animation festivals, comic book conventions, sci fi events, etc. are far more ideal for building the audience you want for the story you seem to have. cater your markting strategy for the audience you're trying to attain.

No one tries to show a chick flick at San Diego Comic-con, and no one goes to a battered women's meeting & tries to show them an action movie. A film festival stratgy can really help make an effective campaign to get fans of your film & even get interest in a feature - see BROKEN for a successful example.

Back