Question about my Super 8mm Bauer S715 XL Microcomputer/Angenieux

Hi There,

I'm new to film, and just acquired a Super 8mm Bauer S715 XL Microcomputer/Angenieux in beautiful, like new condition, with the original carry bag and all. The Angeenieux lens is still immaculate. I'd like to shoot my first short with it. It had a film cartridge in it when I got it, and when I pressed the trigger to roll film it was working. I only ran it for about 20 seconds. A couple of days later, when I put fresh batteries in and pressed the trigger it just made a very faint, slow clicking sound... but the red LED light on the front was on, and it did zoom in and out. Over the course of 10-15 minutes, I began making adjustments with various settings while continuing to press the trigger.. still making the same sound(with or without the film in it),
and then it was as if the batteries had been sucked dry! The indicator light no longer goes on - after only 15 minutes of non-continuous pressure on trigger? Does anyone know if this is a problem with a fuse? the "microcomputer"? Maybe the belt's fried? I'm at a loss. I know the belts eventually go on these, but something tells me it another problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, SuperGymnast

The camera is super clean. I checked the contacts for the batteries and gently wiped them with q-tips and alcohol.

Not sure man. I would have thought the batteries are bad or dead. You said you tried new batteries right?

We're shooting a feature on Super 8 right now...we have a really nice Canon.

Be sure you deal with Pro-8 in California...they are the best. And get the film stock that has been cut down from 35mm stock. The rolls are $30 for processing and development...for about 2.5 minutes of footage (a roll).

Good luck.

I know nothing about cameras, but have some familiarity with electromechanics.

A sucked dry battery implies that the motor is stuck, trying to spin, but turning that energy into heat. Hopefully you didn't fry the motor. There very well may be a fuse.

Alternatively, I have a high end vacuum cleaner with an LED that only lights when the brush is spinning. Literally, the brush is connected to a little generator that lights the LED. If the belt driving the brush is broken, or the brush is stuck on a curtain (dont ask) the light goes out! Its a great feature that is there to keep WORSE things from happening. I could see something very similar being applied to delicate devices like a movie camera.

Hope this was useful, good luck.

Back