Question about making titles in Premiere Pro.

I watched some tutorials and under stand how to put a title on the screen, but say after you put an actor's name in, you want to put the next actor's name in. The tutorials do not cover how to get the program to memorize the font, size and position of the titles on the screen. So I have to constantly re-tell the program everything all over for the next title.

It wouldn't be a big deal accept the program keeps putting the next title in a slightly different place, where I want them all to be in the middle everytime. Is it possible to get the program to memorize the position, size and font so it makes every title card the same?

Thanks.

All I have is the pissant Premiere Elements, but I imagine the exact same following principle will work in Premiere Pro (I do this all the time, BTW.)

2014%252003%252028%2520How%2520to%2520Copy%2520Titles%252001.png

2014%252003%252028%2520How%2520to%2520Copy%2520Titles%252002.png

DO NOT copy and paste text elements from the working timeline.
When you change the text in a copy of a timeline sample any and all copies (and original) will be changed.

ONLY make copies of elements in the "Project" work space.

Also, see the "Title 01" on both of the "Project" elements?
You can select that title itself and change it, to "Adam Actor" and "Bob Actor" for example, to better keep up with what's what on the working timeline when you pull them down there.
If you're working with a lot of these and they're ALL labeled "Title 01" it can get problematic. :)

Last edited:
Okay thanks, that helps a bit! I figured out to make one title to look the same as the other, however, one person's name is longer, than another's. If I try to type in a longer name, the program will enter the last name in the space below. I cannot figure out how to keep a name all on the same line.

Last edited:
I have Premiere Pro CS5.5. Another thing is, is that when I click on the button that reads "New title based on current title", it doesn't give me a new title of the same type. The font is now squished in the new title, and no tutorial says how to make it so it won't squish afterwards.

I also have problems with the title not being long enough and it gets cut off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHVFM4Bo1Y&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Pause this video on 0:28
Actually you don't have to start the video: the frame it shows, contains the button you need :P
(But it doesn't show the outline buttons, but you'll read about that below the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DcpIjIER4

Look at the title window.
It has a left column (selection an alignmnt tools), a right column (with font, shadows , etc) and a big mid column with the image where you create a title.

In that mid section: look at the top left.

Inthe tab you see a text: "Title: my title"
Below that line there is an icon: a celluloid frame with a 'T' in it.
When you you click this icon, you will creat an exact copy of the title you selected or created.
You have to name it and then you can change the content, but font, position, etc are the same. If the actor's name is longer, the title gets longer.

Which side it grows to depends on the outline: left (Left position stays the same: title grows or shrinks on the right side), center (center position stays the same: title expands or shrinks on both left and right side) or right: the last letter stays in position and the first letter move to the left when the title grows, or to the right when it gets shorter).
(This outline can be selected in the top row of the midsection: there are 3 buttons with lines. In the video you see the default one (left) is selected.)

I hope this is clear :)

BTW,
this tutoriol is made on a mac, but what I just told you is the same on windows.

Okay thanks, that helps a bit! I figured out to make one title to look the same as the other, however, one person's name is longer, than another's. If I try to type in a longer name, the program will enter the last name in the space below. I cannot figure out how to keep a name all on the same line.
Cool.
With PElements I select the text with the text editing tool (not the li'l hand move tool), and the text block shows li'l square block handles at the corners.
Grab the right side handles and just pull it over to the right to give you more space.
In PPro it might be the same or similar.

Alternatively, try opening a MSNotepad page, put all your text over there, then copy and paste each line into individual text blocks.
The program may automagically make the text block an appropriate length.

Should probably first confirm that you're both on the same version. Pretty certain the screenshots are from CC, is that accurate Ray?
Don't know what CC is.
They're screenshots of Premiere Elements 11.

Hopefully they're cousins, programming wise.

FWIW, take a good look at what Walter's suggesting since that's your actual program and I'm just guessing based on programming family assumptions.

Last edited:
Don't know what CC is.
They're screenshots of Premiere Elements 11.
CC is Creative Cloud, the latest iteration of Premiere. I've not had occasion to use it, last version of premiere I actively used was CS2, and that was quite a while back. I suspect though that CS5.5 and Premiere Elements likely have dissimilar interfaces.

Seems to me you could create a single title, drop it on your timeline, then copy/paste it for the number of others you need, double-click, change text. *shrug*

CC is Creative Cloud, the latest iteration of Premiere.

Seems to me you could create a single title, drop it on your timeline, then copy/paste it for the number of others you need, double-click, change text. *shrug*
Gotcha.

At least w/ PE11 copy and paste from the timeline is problematic.

Best practice is to c&p from the project elements field, rename the new element copy, then drag it down to the timeline, and edit it from there.

Hopefully PP is fairly similar.

CC is Creative Cloud, the latest iteration of Premiere. I've not had occasion to use it, last version of premiere I actively used was CS2, and that was quite a while back. I suspect though that CS5.5 and Premiere Elements likely have dissimilar interfaces.

This is exactly how I do it.. ^^^

Back