• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about lighting

Hello all. In the recent weeks I've been involved in a couple of projects acting, producing, and as a DP for short film. In these recent weeks I've become much more enamored with lighting in general and want to try to learn as much as I can about it.

Was looking for books on lighting and I found Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown, Cinematography: Theory and Practice and I was hoping you guys could give me any input about the books or any other about lighting I should consider. I'll soon post a little project I tried to make noir style for your critique.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Try "Painting with Light" - also the video "Visions of Light" (also on youtube in bits) - the book "Light Science and Magic" (aimed at still shooters) and really prowl Amazon starting from those titles. If you have a library, see what they have and also what they can get on library loan (the "LINK+" system connects many local libraries with universities etc across California, Arizona, and Nevada, for instance -- so you can online-browse most anything)

Back