• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about hiring a colorist.

I posted an add on kijiji a few months ago for one, but no one responded. I said it was for a no budget project, and there will be no financial compensation. And that it was more for building a team and helping each other out with our craft, but not one responded Do you think I should repost the add, and dip into my savings, or are people gladly willing to do it for no money?

Coloring a full-length feature will take weeks of full-time work. Can you afford to work for free for three or four weeks? If you're willing to take more time, and take chances, you may be able to find a film school student who'll do it for pizza on weekends over a few months.

I disagree that it takes weeks, unless you're an average cinematographer who has left the entire look of the film to the grade.

It can take a while though, and you'll find anyone who's worth their money in colour grading is worth paying to get the image you want.

Sixteen minutes? Then yes, you might find someone willing to take that on for a week or so. Is there a film community where you live? Not just filmmakers but film technicians? There may be someone, such as myself, interested in grading a project for the experience and for their reel. This would not be a pro colorist (unless your film is something astonishing), but someone with a bit of background and learning post or grading.

Back