• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about doing research.

For my last script, I interviewed cops to get all the procedures right, however they refused to divulge any information on their tactics. They were allowed to give out the legal rules on whether or not they would shoot someone in a so and so situation, and things like that, but they weren't allowed to divulge their SWAT tactics or defensive tactics in any way.

My current script has a lot more of the cops in the foreground compared to my last and has even more questions. I wanna get everything as realistic as possible to build the suspense. So since cops are the ones not to ask, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to perhaps hire ex-cons for information? Ones who have been in the exact situations with the cops that I would need for my story. Sounds a little out there, but since I wanna get it all right, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Well I plan to direct this one in the future. I wanna get into directing, but still want to write a script to make as a debut. Some of the tactics could effect the plot depending on what they are to, and I wanna those in if necessary.

Back