• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about composing OTS shots.

Okay thanks. I like the idea of just doing a mastershot and that's it sometimes, but the actors have to be really good to pull that off. I am just using my friends so far. I will do a mastershot as well, but would like some other shots to cut to, to create an even better performance. I want the OTS shot specifically to create a certain feeling in the audience at one point in the scene though, and will get that too.

Here is the actual scene from your first posted example.

Notice that at a certain point in the scene, (:42) when Bond asks her an important question, the angle shifts a bit to square her up more directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnlsoaZ5xMo

Actually the shot I am referring to in that Skyfall scene comes later in that scene. When the woman says 'not like him', the OTS shot is closer up, and that's the shot I want. Is their a term for the framing of that type of shot, as oppose to a more frontal OTS shot, or is just called a close up OTS shot, and the degree of framing has no term?

Okay thanks. I like the idea of just doing a mastershot and that's it sometimes, but the actors have to be really good to pull that off.

Why do the actors need to be really good to pull that off?

What makes you think if they cannot pull off the master, they'll miraculously be able to pull off the other shots?

Anyway, if you prefer to shoot like that, you may as well not have an editor and just edit within the camera. While I've been taught, you can make a movie that is all masters and cannot do it with all close ups, it's far from the right practice to only aim at shooting masters and move on. A part of a directors job is to get enough appropriate coverage to allow the editor to do their best work. You don't pick up all the details while shooting so having allowances for fixes in post is just good practice. If you only shoot the master, there is no real allowance to alter the pace of any scene or to remove unnecessary or insert required bits or fix the audiences understanding of scenes with some voice over work.

I'm not going to just use the OTS. I got other shots planned. Just wasn't sure what type of OTS I wanted. I have a MS, and I might go to CU's depending on how much shoot time I can cram in. I only have the location for two hours that day, max, so I will save the CUs for last since the OTS shot is more important to me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to just use the OTS. I got other shots planned. Just wasn't sure what type of OTS I wanted. I have a MS, and I might go to CU's depending on how much shoot time I can cram in. I only have the location for two hours that day, max, so I will save the CUs for last since the OTS shot is more important to me.

that went right over your head
go back and read my post from the first page

:no:

I read your post. But I I was responding to what Sweetie wrote in what I said there. In response to your's, I will be using the Skyfall type of OTS, so not so close up I guess.

:lol: still completely over your head
sweetie and i were both saying the same thing

combine cu with OTS … OTS CU .. OTS MCU

you really need things spelled out for you, but i guess thats not your fault

I wouldn't say I need things spelled out all the time. It's just she wrote CU, instead of OTS CU, so I thought she meant CU only without it being an OTS. I didn't know she meant OTS CU and OTS MCU like you meant. But thanks. I think I will if I have time within the shoot. I also haven't had much sleep in the past couple of weeks trying to find people for the movie, so maybe that's why I didn't get it at first.

Last edited:
Back