• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about CGI blood splatter effects.

It's cool how in Action Essentials 2, you can simulate blood splatter from gunshots and things like that. However, how do you get the blood to land on the actor? Cause after a splash of blood, he would fall to the ground bleeding and dead, so how do I get the splatter, to match the actual fake blood on his when he falls? Or is this the wrong way to do it?

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "land on the actor". I can think of quite a few ways to do the blood splatter, but it depends on where they're getting shot since the blood spray is going to act differently.

Unless you're going for as much gore as you can cram in, in which case I don't think it matters.

Like if someone gets shot in the chest for example, that person will land and you will expect blood to be on their chest, as they are still alive, and still dying. How do I make sure that the blood I put on the actor for the dying scene shoot, will match the pattern of blood splatter, that you add later in post?

1. First you do a CGI blood splatter on a white screen (as in a video track of a white matte), so you can see what the default splatter pattern is. If you're pathetic with computers, then skip to step 3.
2. If you're decent with computers, you can manipulate the splatter to be bigger or chunkier or whatever.
3. Screenshot the splatter image and save the corresponding JPEG to your iPhone. Then when you're on set, ready to put red syrup on your actor, you can use your iPhone for reference to guide the splatter pattern.

Back