Question about audio for the Canon 60D

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I have an old Beachtek adapter I used to use when I shot with a Canon GL1. It allowed me to use XLR mic's with the GL1 as there was no XLR input on that camera. The model of the beacktek adapter was DXA-4P. I know beachtek makes an adapter specifically for SLR cameras but I'm curious if the model I already have would work with a Canon 60D.

Thanks. I wonder if anyone can confirm that the 60D does have a 3.5mm audio input. Checked several websites for the specs and didn't turn up with something. Almost positive it does but I figure someone on here would know for sure.

Thanks. I wonder if anyone can confirm that the 60D does have a 3.5mm audio input. Checked several websites for the specs and didn't turn up with something. Almost positive it does but I figure someone on here would know for sure.

It does, yep.

60D-minijack.png

Be careful with the internal amp on the 60D. Mine has caused me nothing but grief no matter what mic I hook into it. (Yes I have Magic Lantern installed on mine with AGC off.)

Oddly enough my older Canon Vixia HV30 has no problems with these same mics, so, I blame the internal amplifier. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I might end up recording sound separately a lot of the time but there will be situations where I'm a one-man band and would need to record audio into the camera directly.

You should still record the sound separately. The technical quality will be better (less hiss, etc.), even if the recorded audio itself is marginal (due to being camera mounted).

If you you needed to you can also run a cable from the line out to the 60d input. Just make sure it is attenuated. Also syncing sound is much easier than you think, most times can be done in under a minute even when not using software to help

Back