• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about a script I am writing...

I have a character who's identity won't be revealed until later in the story.
Do i refer to him as STRANGER or something before his identity is revealed, or do I always call him by his real name?

Did we meet him before and then he it turns out that he is actually two people, and the second person we thought was someone else all along? Cause if not, then it doesn't matter.

I've written something where the unknown character is called THE STRANGER the whole way through. This works fine, but there are other options. You just need something to call them so the reader, or yourself, doesn't lose track.

In "Halloween", Michael Myers, even though we know his name is Michael, is never called MICHAEL, only "THE SHAPE". The actor (Nick Castle) is even credited as The Shape.

I've written something where the unknown character is called THE STRANGER the whole way through. This works fine, but there are other options. You just need something to call them so the reader, or yourself, doesn't lose track.

In "Halloween", Michael Myers, even though we know his name is Michael, is never called MICHAEL, only "THE SHAPE". The actor (Nick Castle) is even credited as The Shape.

good deal, thanks everyone who responded!

I read a script my friend wrote and about half way through he then revealed the names of two characters. But, it wasn't clear and I was really confused thinking that 2 characters came out of no where. As long as you make it very clear that STRANGER then is revealed as FRED, or whatever, then it should be fine.

There are two schools of thought (as usual) on this situation. Some will say you need to use the character's name from the start. The other says that you report what the audience sees on the screen. A similar question was posted on another screenwriting group that I read. The answer from that group was basically the former--named from the beginning. However, my own experience is from that latter group. So for instance:
Code:
A DARK FIGURE approaches from the alley way as MARK (30s)
in trench coat waits.
 .... (later)
Mark is there when he's talking to GREG (DARK FIGURE), a
young guy (20s).
 .... (henceforth)
Mark and Greg ...
Just be sure to associate the previous reference with the
later identity.

Depending on who's reading your script they will object one way or the other. If you are shooting it yourself, it's not a big deal.

Back