• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Q: Pro Post folks Software Configuration Managment

Hi,
I have a question for the pros in the big shops. Im an engineer specializing in Software Configuration Management (SCM), and more specifically, software build automation. Im looking for what the analog of a similar position in POST work would be called. I intuit that large post production projects have many of the same types of issues I see on a daily basis. Work flow optimizations, managing lots of data, compiling outputs from many sources, automating complex tasks, driving delivery to HARD deadlines, etc.

Perhaps I could find even MORE personal enlightenment in such a position, but don't know where to start investigating. I am fully employed with a fortune 500 company finishing up my most recent project, a globally distributed software build automation system. (yes that's a brag!)

Thanks

There are many names for the computer/technology managers, etc.

Systems manager

Technology pipeline manager

Technical director

Pipeline software developer

Pipeline engineer

As the systems get more complicated there are more jobs/titles created for the folks who do the specific functions.

Thanks Alcove,
I see the common words are "pipeline" and "technology" so that will definitely help.
Which of these roles is more apt to write software automation and work with revision management (my two favorite sub fields)?

Back