• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Pumped" [9:18] The full cut of my USC application film

Honestly, cinematography/lighting was really well done! I also really enjoyed the wide long shots of the gas station. The camera quality was fantastic but a tiny noisy, but it wasn't enough to bother me.

Also, the color grading was well done. But there were some really big flaws I think need to be addressed..

The acting felt so forced, it felt like they read the script and said it out loud is what I'm getting at. In the end of it.. I didn't really understand it all, that might be me not being smart though. :lol:

Aside from that. there was one part that really stood out to me when he was digging through his bag in the beginning. There was a shot of him doing something and it was pitch black, his phone lighting up, black again, then his face lighting up. I think you should just cut it to seeing the phone light up then the light on his face and try to make it a little tighter in that area.

You definitely have filmmaking finesse, and that's all I have to say in criticism as a fellow filmmaker. From some mates I watched it with, who are not filmmakers, your audience.. They said it was just kind of boring. I somewhat agree but it held my interest because I kept asking, "why?" The pacing was really slow and awkward, though, and I don't mean to offend you or anything by saying all of this, just trying to give my honest feedback. I think you should work on it some more before sending it in if you haven't.. Other than that stuff, you did an excellent job of cinematography.

yup, way too slow and acting was very rough. two other things i took big issue with, 1) why is he so complacent with a broken pump? 2) who just ditches their car and belongings like that? if you reasoning for these two questions is that this guy is at some sort of life emotional crossroads (which seemed like what the story was about), then my only comment is that i beg you to show that emotion! without that emotion, these things and the entire film make very little sense

few other things:
i've never met such a strange and outgoing cast of characters pumping gas...

yeah, you worked the camera technically well focus, light, etc, but at the same time none of your shot choices helped put me in this story, in this guys world, i just felt like i was the cashier watching from behind the glass. also none of your shot choices stunned me in any way, the wide of the station was fine, but i thought it lacked an "it" factor, and it was definitely the shot that needed "it"

"friend" and "pal?" i mean sometimes i say "buddy..." but thats cause its my cats name. stick with "man" or i guess "dude" would be ok, if anything. sorry but that bugged me a bit

but overall, i'm just looking for that emotion to connect me to the main character. shot choices and pacing will enhance that emphasis.

the cabbie's line and the visual gag at the end were fun tho. also it was generally clean and i like the simplicity of concept: missed calls triggering a feeling of regret. i'd be much more interested in seeing your five minute cut, i think there is too little story for a 10 min film here, even if the acting was off the charts.

Back